Backhoe bucket recommendations

/ Backhoe bucket recommendations #1  

Notforhire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L47TLB
I'm getting a BT1000B backhoe for my L47TL and I'm trying to decide on a do all bucket for it.

I expect that I'll be mostly digging out small stumps, planting trees/bushes, some trenching for culverts, water and electric lines cleaning out ditch banks , that sort of thing. I don't plan on doing any major excavation for basements or anything like that. I had a full size TLB in the past, but have no experience with a compact TLB. I would like a decent size bucket without overtaxing the machine. The soil around here is mostly rocky sandy, after you get through the red clay topsoil.

I was thinking of a 18 inch or maybe a 24 inch max. I won't have a thumb. I would appreciate any advice from you folks that own, or have rented similar sized equipment.

/ Backhoe bucket recommendations #2  
There’s no do it all bucket. I have a 16”, 24” and 36” on my M59. I got the 36 for putting in fill lines. It’s really too big for the machine and I wouldn’t recommend anything bigger than 24” especially for a smaller backhoe. A 16” is a lot better general purpose bucket. A 12” or a ripper would be better for stumps. I’m not a fan of 12” or smaller buckets because they pack full and won’t dump.

/ Backhoe bucket recommendations
There’s no do it all bucket. I’m not a fan of 12” or smaller buckets because they pack full and won’t dump.

Maybe I should have called it a "make do" bucket, but I know what you mean. Having a selection is always better. I agree with you on the 12 inch buckets for the same reason.

I'm leaning towards a 18 as a compromise.

/ Backhoe bucket recommendations #4  
That’s probably the best compromise but not very good for stumps: I really want a ripper for mine.

/ Backhoe bucket recommendations #6  
I'm getting a BT1000B backhoe for my L47TL and I'm trying to decide on a do all bucket for it.

I expect that I'll be mostly digging out small stumps, planting trees/bushes, some trenching for culverts, water and electric lines cleaning out ditch banks , that sort of thing. I don't plan on doing any major excavation for basements or anything like that. I had a full size TLB in the past, but have no experience with a compact TLB. I would like a decent size bucket without overtaxing the machine. The soil around here is mostly rocky sandy, after you get through the red clay topsoil.

I was thinking of a 18 inch or maybe a 24 inch max. I won't have a thumb. I would appreciate any advice from you folks that own, or have rented similar sized equipment.

I have a 24" bucket on my L48 TLB, but would really like to have/find a good used 16" one.
Used Kubota QA buckets seem to be hard to find.

/ Backhoe bucket recommendations #7  

1st thing get a thumb you will never regret it especially since your digging stump and roots.

I have b26 and have 12,18 and 30" all have there place but 18 gets the most use with 30" close second, it's a smooth bucket and I used it cleaning up ditches and when backfilling.

/ Backhoe bucket recommendations #8  
Wider is always better takes out more material faster and if you're doing a trench it's wide enough for you to get in the trench if needed.
24" never come off my backhoe even though I have a selection of buckets.

/ Backhoe bucket recommendations #9  
My 12 packs with clay mud, but I'm not sure my little dipper could safely handle anything much wider. Maybe a 16-18 at the most. Also has welded on teeth, so no smooth scraping.

I'd love to find an affordable round edged bucket to scrape ditches, or an add-on round edge attachment to fit over the teeth.

/ Backhoe bucket recommendations #10  
1st thing get a thumb you will never regret it especially since your digging stump and roots.

I have b26 and have 12,18 and 30" all have there place but 18 gets the most use with 30" close second, it's a smooth bucket and I used it cleaning up ditches and when backfilling.

Agreed. If you plan on digging a lot of stumps get the thumb and narrower bucket like 16-18inch. I use a 24 inch bucket and think I would like a ripper to cut through the roots easier and leave smaller holes to fill.

You wont regret adding a thumb, only not getting one sooner.