Backhoe Backhoe bucket size

/ Backhoe bucket size #1  

barticus73

Silver Member
Clarksburg, Pa(Between Indiana and Saltsburg Pa)
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7272,Farmall 544
I have a Woods BH70-x backhoe with an 18" bucket. I have a ton of 4" drain pipe I want to bury and am considering a smaller bucket. The options for Woods are 9" and 12". I like the idea of a 9 inch hole but wanted to see if anyone has any expirience with this size? My concern is dirt plugging in the smaller bucket.

Any idea on what prices people have seen for these buckets? I called one local place and they quoted $430 for 9" and $470 fro 12".

Thanks.

/ Backhoe bucket size #2  
What kind of soil do you have? I have a 16" bucket which is a breeze in my sandy soil but I did some work for a buddy with clay and even the 16" was not emptying well. I can't imagine a 9 incher in that stuff.

/ Backhoe bucket size #3  
I just finished using a 9" to trench in 90' of water line ... clay does stick in it ... but I don't think size will matter when it comes to clay sticking. That 9" worked great for me ... keeping in mind I only went about 18" deep (no freeze worries) The problem you may have with 9" .... it could get hard to work at any depth exceeding the length of your arm, because of it being too narrow.

/ Backhoe bucket size #4  
the 9 " will be hard to get clay out of it. However if you are setting a french drain or a drain field the width needs to be 3 times the diameter of the pipe laid with 3/4" or greater gravel for proper water perculation. else the water will not evacuate quick enough. At least that is how it has to be here in VA. So for 4" pipe you need a 12" by 18" trench. This is the way i have always did my drain tile and never had a problem

/ Backhoe bucket size #5  
barticus73 said:
I have a Woods BH70-x backhoe with an 18" bucket. I have a ton of 4" drain pipe I want to bury and am considering a smaller bucket.

If the digging is easy - no rocks, no roots, then a narrower bucket may be slightly faster, assuming a shallow trench. But if you will have someone working in the ditch with a shovel, spreading stone or joining the pipe etc., a narrow ditch can be a pain. Back-filling is just as fast either way.

/ Backhoe bucket size #6  
I think 9" is to small. I use a 12 & 24 on my current backhoe and have used 18 before. Even in the 12, if I pick up a rock or stick quite often it is hard to remove. I would go for the 12. Of course at $500-600 for a bucket, the 16 seems pretty good.

Andy