Backhoe Dipperstick not moving in one direction

/ Backhoe Dipperstick not moving in one direction #1  

catvet

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39
For those who helped me with encouragement and ideas when my bucket cylinder hydraulic hose went a couple of weeks ago Thanks again.

Now a new problem. Suddenly my Dipperstick cylinder is working in only one direction. It will extend the dipperstick (piston? contracting into the cylinder) but not retract it. If I keep "feathering" ( pulling and releasing) the control it will move in one inch at a time.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Is this a hydraulic hose problem, or control stick problem, or even a cylinder problem? Don't see any sign of leaks.

It's a Woods BH500 on a Kubota B7800

Thanks

/ Backhoe Dipperstick not moving in one direction #2  
Catvet,

I sounds like you have something blocking the fluid flow in the control valve. You can check it pretty quick. Loosen the hose connection to the cylinder that will cause the rod to extend (that's what is not working, right?). Then operate the control, fluid should come out forcefully. If it doesn't, you have a blockage. If blocked, take off the hose at the control and operate. If it is gushing out of the control, then the blockage is in the hose. Clean the hose to fix. If it isn't gushing, you have a control valve issue.

There are tests you can do for the cylinder, but I don't think you have a major packing leak. If you did, I doubt it would work well in one direction and poorly or not at all in the other.

jb

/ Backhoe Dipperstick not moving in one direction #3  
Check ALL of your hydraulic quick disconnects. There is a good chance that one is not connected good. It may look like it and not be.

/ Backhoe Dipperstick not moving in one direction
Thanks for the suggestions. I took the control panel apart this morning and there was a loose bolt. I tightened it and everything seems to work. Not sure what the bolt did, obviously allowed a valve to open.

/ Backhoe Dipperstick not moving in one direction #5  
Glad to hear you solved the mystery. A loose bolt, was not what I was thinking of as the root cause. This equipment examination over the net is hard!

jb

/ Backhoe Dipperstick not moving in one direction #6  
catvet said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I took the control panel apart this morning and there was a loose bolt. I tightened it and everything seems to work. Not sure what the bolt did, obviously allowed a valve to open.
That's strange. It would be interesting to know what the bolt was for. Glad you got it fixed.

/ Backhoe Dipperstick not moving in one direction #7  
I'd like to know what the bolt held too? Maybe you can sahre a picture?
If in the "control panel" I presume the joystick controls? Two things about that. Some of those valves sit on "O" ringed manifold blocks and if a bolt was loose there would be a leak. Perhaps one port might still be sealed by the "O" ring? Another might be if the joystick controls were not directly on the valve, some use cables to the valves and a loose bolt would not allow the stick to open the valve. (too much play)....my guess anyway?

/ Backhoe Dipperstick not moving in one direction
I'll try to get some pictures but it won't be until next week. The tractor is at our property about 20 miles from here. The bolts looked like they sat on a plate. Couldn't see what happened below. From what I can determine in my manual it was part of the control valve linkage.