Backhoe Backhoe for L3400

/ Backhoe for L3400 #1  

westbrooklawn

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3400HST
After doing much research on this site, I ordered a Woods BH80-X today for my L3400. I got the PTO pump, 4 point hitch, and an 18" bucket. I shopped several dealers and all said I would be happier with the performance of the PTO pump vs. the tractor hydraulics (flow issue).

Does anyone with this setup have any tips they would like to give me about usage and performance? Also, I have chosen to install it myself... any tips along those lines? Thanks in advance for input.

/ Backhoe for L3400 #3  
Perhaps they have corrected this by now! It was the only issue that I had with the unit, works great, keep RPMS around 1500 for general digging.

jw 5875
Copy of e-mail I sent to Woods

Sir:

I recently purchased a Wood's BH 80-X with the 4 Pt. sub-frame for my Kubota L3400. I installed the sub-frame myself, and after calls to my dealer, and your tech support people, trying to get the correct bolts?, I discovered that the bolt kit has two wrong / missing bolts.

I refer to Manual: Man0335 Woods# 1009801:

Page # 6 Figure 3 item 24, Part # 33125 and Page 19 Parts Description item 24 Part # 33125 are listed as
M14 X 2.0P X 50 MM.

The thread in the Kubota frame is a blind hole tapped for M14 X 1.5P. Trying to find these bolts was a bit difficult as to most retailers etc. only carry up to 12MM. Fortunately, Grainger's has the bolts (Grainger Cat. P. 2262, Item # 6BA46). I have ordered and recieved these and my installation of the Sub - Frame is now complete. I offer this information to you in hopes that a correction could be made for this part in your Sub - Frame kits.

/ Backhoe for L3400
Jw5875 -

Thanks for the reply. Other than not having the bolts in the kit, did you have any problem with the installation? How long did it take you? Can you possibly provide a picture of the 4 pt. so I could see how it attaches to the L3400? If you had it to do over again would you pay $300 to have the dealer install it? Thanks for any additional info you can provide.

/ Backhoe for L3400 #5  
It should take about 3 hrs. to install. Get a 3/4" socket set, the bolts are really torqued tight.

Being mechanically inclined, I did not see paying for installation (I used that savings on advil, where did all that "Youth" go that I once had).

When you pick up or have your set-up delivered, there will be a cross brace connected to the front rails, It is not used for anything but shipping, dis-guard it.

Also WOODs has a web page and you can download manuals etc.

JW 5875

Last edited:
   / Backhoe for L3400
Jw5874,

Thanks for the info. A follow up question to you or anyone else who might like to chime in... Will SAE 3/4 drive sockets work with the metric size bolts I will have to deal with? My gut feeling is that with the larger sizes an SAE equivalent (even though it might be a little sloppy) would work fine. What's your take on that?

/ Backhoe for L3400 #7  
westbrooklawn said:
Jw5874,

Thanks for the info. A follow up question to you or anyone else who might like to chime in... Will SAE 3/4 drive sockets work with the metric size bolts I will have to deal with? My gut feeling is that with the larger sizes an SAE equivalent (even though it might be a little sloppy) would work fine. What's your take on that?

For large bolts, you can usually use an SAE socket instead of a metric socket without any problem.

Vic

/ Backhoe for L3400 #8  
westbrooklawn said:
Will SAE 3/4 drive sockets work with the metric size bolts I will have to deal with?

They will prob work, but you can also get the 3/4" large metric set from
HF Tools for only $40.

I have had a difficult time finding M14 bolts (fine or coarse thread) in
Grade 8 strength, which my tractor calls for, too. If the tractor is not
new, it is a good idea to chase the threads in the tractor casting to
get the dirt out first.

Don't forget that all bolts should be checked for tightness after the
hoe is first operated. It is very likely one or more will loosen.

/ Backhoe for L3400 #9  
westbrooklawn said:
If you had it to do over again would you pay $300 to have the dealer install it? .

I did the install of the BH70X 4 point subframe on my B7800 ,and besides the $ savings it was worth it just to not to have to transport the tractor to and from the dealer. The BH was delivered on a low car carrier type trailer on a skid. We put the ramps from the trailer down to my garage floor and pulled the skid down the ramps and onto some wheel dollies with the tractor. Then I could easily move it around while I was working on it. This was pretty much my only option for unloading it as I didn't have enough height to lift it off with the loader. We just did everything real slow and nobody lost any fingers. In my case I was able to drop a sling down between the seat and tire and use an engine hoist to suspend the heavier parts while aligning the bolt holes. For unpacking the big bag of bolts they give you, I got a whole bunch of empty margarine tubs and sorted all the different sizes of nuts , bolts and washers into them, and then checked what they gave me with the packing list. Good luck and have fun.