Backhoe Backhoe quandary

/ Backhoe quandary #11  
One thing you're sure to get here is a lot of different opinions. I have a Kubota B7500 and a Kubota 4672 BH. It is 3pt with it's own hydraulics. I have really used mine a lot in the last year and a half. In fact I think I use it almost as much as the FEL. It is really nice to have it available. I never dreamt I would use it as much as I do. So... my vote would be to definitely buy one so you can use it at your convenience. You'll be amazed at all the little projects that come up that couldn't be done without a BH. I read where CBH has not been pleased with his 4672, but I have really liked mine. Now that I have had it for a while I can remove and install it in 5-10 minutes. It did take me a while before I could do it that easily, but it's no big deal now. Is there a reason why you haven't looked at the Kubota backhoes?

Greg

/ Backhoe quandary #12  
definatly get the 7.5' hoe. our 580 case has 14' reach and it's about 9' too short.

the length of the hoe also helps you get dirt, stumps, etc. away from the machine, which you'll find, is the most difficult part of running a hoe.

/ Backhoe quandary #13  
I agree, get the 7.5' hoe. My first tractor didn't have a backhoe for half it's life and I was always coming up with needs for one. My last several machines have all had backhoes. I couldn't imagine being without one. Most of the jobs that people on the board struggle with FEL's over are really backhoe jobs. The main reason I have 2 tractors is so that I never have to take the backhoe off. Even for jobs as simple as grading with a boxblade, I usually loosen up the soil and rocks with the backhoe before going over it with the boxblade or york rake. My smaller tractors all had subframe mounts and I wouldn't recomend a 3pt hitch on any Cat I machine. Too big a chance of case damage. My latest backhoe is on a 75 hp cat II, New Holland TN and there is no comparison to the 3 pt strength and also the backhoe steel. All of my backhoes up to the current one used tractor hydraulics and I had no problems. They were never used on any other machines so hydraulic fluid mixing wasn't a problem. Renting for me is not an option because any day I do tractor work that is not mowing, I spend a few hours on the backhoe. If I had to rent I just wouldn't bother doing it.
Just my experiences.

Andy

/ Backhoe quandary #14  
Well..........

I say forget the B7800 and go for the L3130 or 3430 with the BH90 hoe...

I know you said the tractor will be a B7800...why?

I have a B2910...I love it. It is a good tractor. I have the 7.5 foot backhoe. I wish I had more reach sometime and more omph...when digging out stumps.

The BH90 is a better backhoe in my opinion. I feel in love with one...but probably will never own one... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Because the smaller one on my B2910 does work for me.

But ! the price between the Lseries and B series is not that great in the long run. My B2910 seemed big in the beginning but gets smaller the more I use it.

If you can afford it I propose you go for the L series with the BH90 backhoe. Do it right the first time! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Now if you can't afford it...the B7800 with a 7.5 foot backhoe will be nice too... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Personally, I still wish I could swing the L series with the BH90 though... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like the seperate pto pump as it keeps the hydraulics of the hoe seperate from the tractor...YMMV

A subframe backhoe is probably better than a 3ph backhoe. Provided that the tractor manufacturer will honor the warrenty if something goes wrong.

$500 is a small percentage of the total cost probably...

Have fun deciding!!! And please let us know the out come!

/ Backhoe quandary #15  
I don't think I said I don't like my backhoe, I just think Kubota could do a better job with one for the very popular B series line of tractors. Why doesn't Kubota offer a subframe mount version? Who better to design one that is compatible with their mower decks and maintains ground clearance? Why use a PTO pump if all of the B series have hydraulics with sufficient flow and pressure? If a front loader doesn't need isolated hydraulics, then why should a backhoe need them?

I think the design of the BX backhoe is the direction the B series should move toward, except that it should be optional. I really believe Kubota would sell more backhoes this way instead of giving sales to their attachment competitors.

/ Backhoe quandary #16  
CBH,
I have to agree with you. However I do like the seperate hydraulics, but I guess that's just personal preference. Like Henro, I think the 3130 and the BH90 hoe is an incredible package. It really is in a different league. A scaled down version the size of a B7500/7800 would be a nice machine. I also like the idea of matching a tractor with a BH built and designed by the same company. I know that Woods and Bradco are great machines, but it's just a personal preference.
I'm just guessin' here, but I think we will be getting reviews on a 3x30 / BH90 package from Henro pretty soon......

Greg

/ Backhoe quandary #17  
My tractors are tiny-tot's compared to the big toy's you guy's usually discuss here. But.......Some time back I built a stand-alone 'backhoe'. It has a five foot reach, and I now wish I did the one two sizes up. The stand alone feature is worth it's weight in gold! Doesn't tie up the machine from doing other chores, such as hauling away what was just dug. The more relief from the base machine, the better.

/ Backhoe quandary #18  
Sure you may be able to survive a 3pt hoe. Maybe your tractor
will, or maybe you'll be out more money than you can believe.
As far as resale, the only thing worse then a new tractor
with a 3 point is a used tractor with one.

Get yourself a Woods mower, an ATI grapple attachment, a
Landpride tiller but get a Kubota loader and backhoe. You
wont' be sorry years down the road.

Go look at a Kubota B21 and see how the loader and backhoe
are attached to the tractor. This is as close to correct
as possible. Now look at a frame mount on the 7800. It isn't
close to what's on the B21. But's its a good compromise
if you aren't going to spend 80% of your life digging.

I'm not trying to be negative but a lot of people on this
board that have 3 point hoes and are happy with them don't
have multi-hundreds of hours on the hoe. I've seen some
older tractor that have all kinds of problems from this.

No I don't work for Kubota or Deere or Ford. I have a green,
an orange and a blue tractor in the garage though.

Some dealers love to sell aftermarket hoes I'm guessing
there is more money that route. Twenty years ago I suffered
through some minor tractor damage and injury to myself from
their stupidity. (I wasn't stupid, just ignorant).

A local JD dealer loves these, I took a picture of a label
on one of them. If new to the forum, click on the "attachment" link in this post

What is "heavy" use?...digging?

They are the same brands your dealer is
steering you to. Ask him if Kubota covers damage to the
tractor while using them. (get it in writing)

If you want to save money get a used tractor, stop buying beer, whatever, but get a factory frame mounted hoe. (My 2 cents)

I will never go back to even a frame mount backhoe on a
CUT that wasn't designed from the ground up to have a hoe
on it. Of course I'm lucky enough to have a wife that lets
me have more than 1 tractor so I don't have 3point implement
hookup issues.

Sorry for the preaching. At least you're getting armed with
more info then most fellows have access to at the get-go.

del

/ Backhoe quandary #19  
Here's the picture

Attachments

• 351968-backhoe_label.jpg
    351968-backhoe_label.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 336
   / Backhoe quandary #20  
I'm looking too & have no experience.

I would go for a frame mount, too easy to break the tractor with 3pt, from a $50 bracket to the rear casting $$$$$.

All the rest is up to you, 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. Bigger hoe is better, but more stress on your tractor..... What to do?

-->Paul