Backhoe Subframe Help

/ Backhoe Subframe Help #11  
I've got my subframe almost ready, but thanks for the woods tip.. it's nice to see I'm doing it right--well better it seems then woods would.... 4 -1/2" bolts, 4 7/8" bolts and 2 7/8" pins.. might take a few minutes longer to mount and dismount.. but it cost me appros. $300-320 in material? the 6"x6" 3/8" x 4' angle pieces were free :)

/ Backhoe Subframe Help
Irwin, if you have chance, would you please post your finished product also. I would be interested to see how you have fastened the subframe to your tractor (at what points) and how again it is fastened to the backhoe.

I have looked at the Wood's site and it provides great information, but photographs of your project would be a great addition.

Thanks,

Rick G.

/ Backhoe Subframe Help #13  
okgat, Found the pics of my Long backhoe adaptation. Marginal quality pics! Previously I had the backhoe on a Ford 801. The adapter for that was essentialy a loader frame extension, 3x4x1/4' tubing, beyond the rear axle. It removed from the tractor with four 1" bolts. Welded tabs on the loader frame near the clutch area with matching tabs on the extension, and the rear had tabs on the extention that mated with spare holes in the loader brackets under the rear axle. The extension bolted rigidly to the loader frame which in turn hung from the tractor, attached at the front & rear axles. That subframe extension was welded directly to the hoe 3pt frame. Took about 1/2+ hour to mount/dismount. Woods subframe is bolted to the hoe, 5 minute mount/dismount. MikeD74T

Attachments

• long backhoe front left.JPG
    long backhoe front left.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 543
  • long backhoe front right.JPG
    long backhoe front right.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 433
  • long backhoe rear right.JPG
    long backhoe rear right.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 450
  • long backhoe.JPG
    long backhoe.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 452
   / Backhoe Subframe Help
Thanks Mike very much. The photos help a great deal with my being able to understand how to put it all together. I would like to thank all of you very much for your assistance. Believe it or not, I am starting to come up with an idea that incorporates a lot of what I have learned from this thread but also from the other threads that I have read.

Let me pass this by you and see what you think. The basic concept goes something like this:

1) I weld either square or rectangle brackets beneath the bucket frame (underneath each rail) starting towards the front and gong to the back at several spots. Lets say 3 spots. Forward, midway, then in the area of the ROPS bracket.

2) I take two pieces of square or rectangle 1/4" tubing (that will be inserted in the brackets in #1) out to where the tubing meets where the two legs of the 3 point hitch would have mounted.

3) I weld onto the end of each tube a 3 pt fitting so that pins can be installed on the two legs of the backhoe attachment.

4) I weld on a square frame that is braced from the two rails up to meet the top of the square frame (for support) and weld on a fitting that will accept the mid point connection. This way I can connect to the bracket from the backhoe upper link with a small length of steal 2x2".

5) With this all accomplished, I then slip the entire unit into the bottom of the bucket rails and pin it in place. Once pinned in place, I then attach the backhoe.

Okay, what do you think? Do you think this will work? Input please!

Thanks,

Rick G.

/ Backhoe Subframe Help #15  
ALCON,

Here are the pictures I promised. Notice the complete sub-frame on the pallet. The A- frame portion swivels on the rear cross member. The tractor Sub-Frame brackets consist of 2 rails from loader mount to rear axel and then 2 hanger brackets on the rear axel housing. (I bought the BH from a guy that had his tractor stolen. So it was cheaper to by the bundle install kit for the BH $1085.00 than the four brackets; $1205.00 just for the two rear hangers and 2 frame rails no fasteners, shields etc…) So I guess I will build something and use this BH sub-frame as a mount; I was thing about a PTO run stump grinder.

Attachments

• BH1.jpg
    BH1.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 475
  • BH2.jpg
    BH2.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 374
  • BH3.jpg
    BH3.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 348
  • BH4.jpg
    BH4.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 334
  • BH5.jpg
    BH5.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 310
  • BH6.jpg
    BH6.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 307
  • BH7.jpg
    BH7.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 313
  • BH8.jpg
    BH8.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 322
  • BH9.jpg
    BH9.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 334
  • BH10.jpg
    BH10.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 353
   / Backhoe Subframe Help
Thanks Rob for taking the time to load your photographs. Your photos helps in narrowing down how I shall proceed. That subframe is really substantial.

Thanks again,

Rick G.

/ Backhoe Subframe Help #17  
okgat, That's almost exactly what I did when the backhoe was on my Ford. The only difference - my backhoe was welded to the subframe rather than 2 pieces. I expect your plan will work very well. One thing to consider about a 2 piece design -with a one piece once the hydraulic hoses are hooked up you can use the outriggers & boom/dipper to position the unit when mounting/dismounting. With a two piece you may have to muscle the 1st piece by hand, although you may also just leave it on the tractor. Consider also that any "slide-in" or telescoping arrangement requires precision measurement & fabrication. Slight warpage from welding can cause installation nightmares. Good luck & SEND PICS of your progress. MikeD74T

Last edited:
   / Backhoe Subframe Help
Thanks Mike for the input, it's much appreciated. This site is sure great for input and ideas. Have a nice weekend.

Rick G.