Backhoe Tree Trimming Saw

/ Backhoe Tree Trimming Saw #1  

Gale Hawkins

Super Star Member
Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad119/GaleHawkins/BackhoeTreeTrimming001.jpg
This is a full view shot of the backhoe with the Remington electric tree trimmer attacted to the bucket.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad119/GaleHawkins/BackhoeTreeTrimming006.jpg
Just a flash shot because how good it can make an old backhoe look. :D

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad119/GaleHawkins/BackhoeTreeTrimming005.jpg
Close up of the saw wired/C-clamped to the BH bucket. There is a 2x clamped with the backside of the teeth serving as an alignment gig. The switch is locked on by wire and current my daughter is our off/on switch.

Now that we know this proto-type set up works (cut off about 10 limbs/3 trees) we may build a reuseable saw mounting fixture. While these shots are near 120 volts if we take this concept to the field we will have a 3500 watt generator in the bucket so we are free to roam.

We explored using the FEL bucket but the son felt the in/out and side to side movement with greater height reach made the backhoe bucket more idea. Note we have the BH bucket in the Power Dig holes which gives us better 'wrist' action.

http://www.amazon.com/Remington-RM1015P-10-Inch-Electric-Pole/dp/B00008ZOXX

Blip about the saw.

/ Backhoe Tree Trimming Saw #2  
Interesting idea. If you had a hydraulic saw you could ditch the generator too. I'm guessing the electric saw is cheaper though, if you don't cound the cost of the generator.

/ Backhoe Tree Trimming Saw
Interesting idea. If you had a hydraulic saw you could ditch the generator too. I'm guessing the electric saw is cheaper though, if you don't cound the cost of the generator.

A hydraulic saw would be awesome for sure.

This was a NO Cost one hour project in that we bought the saw a few years ago. Due to my physical limitations I really do not need to be on the 12 step ladder with the pole saw based on the fact i almost knocked myself off the first limb I cut off. :(

I thought about putting the 12 ft ladder in the bed of the F700 to gain about 4 feet then the BH idea happened. I sent the kids out to the backhoe with the polesaw by themselves with instructions to determine which end to attach the saw to and where/how to mount on the end they selected. All I did was help them come up with stuff on hand to mount it to test to see if their idea was functional.

You should have seen the expression on their faces when that first limb fell so nice and cleanly. :D

/ Backhoe Tree Trimming Saw #4  
You not only figured out how to cut the high limbs, you taught your kids the value of thinking "outside the box". Nice idea.

/ Backhoe Tree Trimming Saw #5  
Gale,
Great idea---I was just looking the other day trying to figure out a good way to trim the leaders of pines we have as a windbreak on the north side of the house. Now I know, We'll just mount the saw sideways. I have an extendahoe and I think my reach is about 26 ft.
Smiley

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. With the kids turning 13 in a few days and me turning 60 at my next birthday I know my passing down what their grandfather taught me plus what I have learned is one of my major remaining tasks in life.

Man i would kill for an extend-a-hoe for that extra control. :) One would let you get right on target where I have to keep changing the angles to change my reach or move the tractor. Actually after playing with the set up for a while the "how" to set up part started to come natural to me. Keeping the blade in clear view is the major thing.

I have found the 'flex' in the pole is a good thing so it does not bend or break from operator mistakes. I have my son standing off to the side and looking up for me which really helps. After the leaves gets off would be more idea but they start on the building in 7 days plus often when the leaves are off the yard would be too soft for the 13K pound BH without it leaving marks.

Topping pines years ago I realized made them branch more making a better windbreak. The saw on its side using the boom side to side swing should work great.

Because of our simple/fast attaching of the pole saw the handle can rotate some but I have found a slight sideways shift of the boom can true it back up for a 90 degree angle with the limb being cut. The flexing pole means an operator's error is not so serious. Once you get in position and tag the limb enough to make chips start falling the chips tell you that you are on target.

When doing this with the pole laying across the top of a 12' step ladder or from the gound I would pinch the blade sometimes because of I would go slow not knowing for sure where the limb would land.

With the backhoe I do not stop the cut after I see I am on target because there is NO fear of the falling limb and the flexing pole keeps hard pressure from being placed between the chain and the limb. Just like in using the saw by hand you want it to do all of the work without being 'forced'.

The photos I took after dark gives the idea but hopefully today we will get some 'action' shots. :D

/ Backhoe Tree Trimming Saw #7  
Nice idea. I would be good for the saw mount to have a release feature that would let it pivot before the pole breaks in case of a gross error (like I would be prone to).

Nice idea. I would be good for the saw mount to have a release feature that would let it pivot before the pole breaks in case of a gross error (like I would be prone to).

I agree if one had a soild pole especially. When fully extended the fiber glass part of the pole will spring for about a max range of 3 foot in any direction. We plan to pick up another $100 pole saw set as a spare when the current one gets crushed by the operator. :D

/ Backhoe Tree Trimming Saw #9  
Nice job on the trimmer. I have wanted to get a "limber" for my skid steer for a while now. I have a saw that only cuts horizontally for getting rid of the unwanted entire trees, but would like the ability to trim the trees I want to keep. I do some custom land clearing but not much call for side trimming so I can't justify a "limber" for just personal use. I do have a nice stihl pole saw. The pole saw is like a lot of my late purchases, it was fine when I bought it but has since became a handful, when fully extended, due to advancing age.

I have done research trying to find a suitable saw and have attached some sites that interest me. The Danzco site has hydraulic saws that a person could fabricate into a nice set up. Unfortunately my fabrication skills went with my youth. Spoke to a guy at Danzco and he was good to talk with.

Been pushing the Limbinator and limbhog in hopes someone would buy and boast about them. In other words verify what the salesmen tell you is true.

Limbinator Saws Details
LIMBHOG.com
Danzco Inc. Home

/ Backhoe Tree Trimming Saw #10  
Nice job on the trimmer. I have wanted to get a "limber" for my skid steer for a while now. I have a saw that only cuts horizontally for getting rid of the unwanted entire trees, but would like the ability to trim the trees I want to keep. I do some custom land clearing but not much call for side trimming so I can't justify a "limber" for just personal use. I do have a nice stihl pole saw. The pole saw is like a lot of my late purchases, it was fine when I bought it but has since became a handful, when fully extended, due to advancing age.

I have done research trying to find a suitable saw and have attached some sites that interest me. The Danzco site has hydraulic saws that a person could fabricate into a nice set up. Unfortunately my fabrication skills went with my youth. Spoke to a guy at Danzco and he was good to talk with.

Been pushing the Limbinator and limbhog in hopes someone would buy and boast about them. In other words verify what the salesmen tell you is true.

Limbinator Saws Details
LIMBHOG.com
Danzco Inc. Home

On NorthernTool:
Limbinator Saw, Model# LS8 | 20in. Bar | Northern Tool + Equipment

Awesome looking, not $2000 awesome though.