Backhoe Backhoe & Water

/ Backhoe & Water #1  

vic_salve

Tractor
B3030 Loader & BH75
Hey,

My brother has been asking me to come over with my 3030 w/BH75 and dig around his pond to deepen and clear some vegitation. I told him I would, but thought I would run it by you guys due to the fact that I have never emersed the hoe in water and don't know if that is a bad idea or not. What if any are the concerns, other than getting stuck or falling in, of damaging my rig? Is dropping the bucket into a pond a bad idea?

I'm all ears guys.

Thanks,
vic

/ Backhoe & Water #2  
vic_salve said:
What if any are the concerns, other than getting stuck or falling in, of damaging my rig?
Those aren't concerns enough for you? ;)
Our hoes don't have a huge reach... how close can you actually get to the pond without getting the whole rear of the tractor in it? If the stabilizers are sinking into the ground, heed the warning sign.
You can't hurt the hoe by getting it in the pond, as long as you clean it up and give it a good greasing afterward to force any trapped water out of the bushings. Just be prepared to go into the pond after it if you get stuck.

/ Backhoe & Water #3  
Just hose it off when done. Then grease grease grease.

A BH 7 has not so much for reach. To compensate, park at a slight angle to the water. Maybe one stabilizer just in the water and the other just out. Dump the spoils to the side that is a little out of the water. Block the front wheels and back wheels with large rocks or 6x6's. Go slow and keep the bucket level to keep the water in it. If your bro has trailer dump into it, or his truck. That pond soil is good for the garden. Remember to take thin slices and angle the bank up.
jb

/ Backhoe & Water
Thanks guys. Hopefully my next post will not be questions about how to get it out of the pond.

Thanks again.
vic