Backhoe

/ Backhoe #1  

96must

Tractor
Kubota L2501
Hi, I have a backhoe on my Kubota L2501, while running the backhoe does the RPMs of the tractor determine how much power the backhoe has or just speed, and what is an ideal RPM to run the backhoe at? Thanks

/ Backhoe #2  
It determines speed more than power, but in the long run both are affected. When you are first learning to operate the unit, it helps to keep RPMs low and operate one function at a time. It keeps the machine from performing "jerky" and wearing out the joints. As you improve your feel of the controls and want to start operating more than one function at a time, more RPMs will be required. The "feel of the controls" I'm talking about is your ability to feel the flow through the control and feather the actions of the unit smoothly. Smooth controls are the true key to speedy digging.

I'd start at 1300-1500 RPM. Once skilled and using two or three functions at a time, 2200-2400 would be the high end.

/ Backhoe
Perfect thank you for the good advice

/ Backhoe #4  
/there is a tube vidio that shows you how to practice digging a trench above ground. just scim the top of ground with the bucket like you would dig a flat bottom trench. worked for me. good practice. uses both sticks to gain control. try to be smooth

/ Backhoe #5  
On my B26, I find that the sweet spot is 1800 RPM. That is enough for it to work at a fast enough pace but still not produce too much engine noise. 2500 RPM is full throttle. I don't find that throttle speeds affects power at all, only speed.

/ Backhoe #6  
On my 5240 I use between 1600-1800 rpm. I also haven't noticed that additional rpm provide any more power.

/ Backhoe #7  
RPM = hydraulic flow = speed in moving hydraulic cylinders
Resistance to flow (up to the point the relief valve kicks in) = power.

Unless the pump or other parts are worn & leaky you should be able to develop max pressure to pop the pressure relief valves at idle, or at least lower throttle.

/ Backhoe #8  
Keep in my, for DPF equipped tier 4 tractors, running at a higher rpm is better for the motor. I run around 2200-2400 rpm with the backhoe and 2400 - 2600 when moving a lot of weight in the loader (no flat land on my property)

/ Backhoe #9  
I just got a backhoe for my L3560 and the dealer said to run it just above idle while learning, and when running it when I get comfortable, to set it to 3/4 to full throttle for best results.

/ Backhoe #10  
I run mine at whatever speed is best for the work I am doing - if it is delicate work, I idle down - not because I am still learning (I have been using BH's for many, many years) but because the machine can cause damage before you realize it.

If it stalls or groans when you try to dig or lift the bucket up while full of dirt, you have it idled too slow. If the motor never changes when you put a load on it while you dig (like when you are trying to dig a stump out) you have it idled too high.