Bad Battery?

/ Bad Battery? #11  
Over the years batteries have been improved a great deal. Taking in a battery was quite common procedure at one time.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Bad Battery? #12  
the battery in 5 tractor is 5 years old, sits in an unheated garage and last week the nite time tenps were 0 deg and 10 sec on the glow plugs and it started right up. in my estimation you either have a bad battery or bad charging system.

/ Bad Battery? #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Even though battery capacity at high temperatures is higher, battery life is shortened. Battery capacity is reduced by 50% at -22 degrees F - but battery LIFE increases by about 60%. Battery life is reduced at higher temperatures - for every 15 degrees F over 77, battery life is cut in half. )</font>

grumpa i would never have beleived that statement till my daughter moved to phoenix, seems like every time i talk to here she is replacing the battery in her car, whereas up here batteries last a bout 5 years. seems like the heat just fries them.

/ Bad Battery? #14  
The low-down on batteries....

Batteries in colder climates last considerably longer than they do in warmer climates. The reason is that "heat" actually ruins a battery's ability to hold that charge.

In a warmer climate, large batteries with lots of CCA's will just ensure the faster "turning' of an engine, up to a certain point. By no means will batteries with more CCA's have any more longevity in the warmer climates.

In colder climates, you need batteries with lots of CCA's, to turn that cold engine fast enough to start. Large batteries, in colder climates "seem" to have the benefit of more longevity but in reality the cold weather is actually "preserving" the battery.

In some areas, batteries can be prone to freezing. Maine used to be an example I used to hear about. Never been there, but I have been told by many that if a vehicle did not have a heater of some type, then it usually was brought in for the night.

So the factors are:
Nice, Sunny, and Warm Climates = about 2 years on quality battery

Colder, Season Changing Climates = longer battery life, about 5 years, but need more CCA's

Tundra Country (REAL freezing climates) = keep that baby warm - not 90 degrees but above freezing

Battery prices have not truly increased in 20 years. How can that be? It is due to the fact that "modern" batteries are more "environmentally friendly". Less lead and less acid = less manufacture cost but no life span.

And lastly, these new "modern" batteries no longer give any warning. They work one time, then the next time NOTHING.

/ Bad Battery? #15  
"I have lived in a cold climate for a long time and have never, ever taken a battery out of a vehicle overnight to make sure that it will start the next morning. I have never heard of anyone else that does that."

I guess you either have some really big batteries, or have just been lucky. Attached is a scan taken from my battery charger box.

Last edited:
   / Bad Battery? #16  
This is all very interesting stuff on batteries I've never know about. The bottom line is if the battery is more than a few years old and needs this kind of attention then it's time for a new one. At least this is what I do to keep my sanity over 30 dollars or so for a battery.

/ Bad Battery?
Grumpa, RickB, Junkman
I have tried everything you suggested, warm in basement, clean battery cables, Fast charge & slow charge 3 times, nothing worked for my 2yr+ old battery

ByronBob
Starting my hunt for a battery, so far the cheapest price is at Tractor Supply for $69. with 925 CCA, will give my dealer a call to see if he comes close in price, I would rather
give him my business if I can.
Thanks to All
Buck

/ Bad Battery? #18  
Without making this a bigger deal than it is. Have you ever looked into the possibility that your alternator isn't charging properly or that something is slowly drawing power from your battery? Chances are this isn't the case because the temps were dealing with are low and that in itself is a problem for lots of batteries in everything. Just thought I'd mention it for what it's worth.
Hope this is the solution for you. $69 ouch. But it's worth having the tractor start for you anyway. Regards Bob

/ Bad Battery? #19  
I have not heard mention of how many volts your battery has after a supposedly full charge. A fully charged battery has at least 12.75 volts and needs a minimum of 12.6 volts for starting. "12 volt battery" is a misconception, there are six 2.1 volt cells in a 12.6 volt battery.

/ Bad Battery? #20  
The last "bad" battery I had actually turned out to be a bad alternator! One of the diodes (out of the 4 in the full-wave-bridge) was shorted, and allowed enough leakage current "backwards" through the diode to ground that it would drain the battery overnight. This happened even with the key off. Try taking a small 12v light bulb (borrow one from the tailights), disconnect one of the battery terminals, and hook the bulb up in series between the battery terminal and the battery post. If the bulb lights, (with the key off) it's a bad alternator diode.