Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision
Yep, I pulled the trigger on a 2013 Dixie Chopper Magnum 2250. That is 22hp with a 50" cut. :cool2::drink:

Smaller engine than my Craftsman but doesn't bog down at all like the riding mower.

Weird was the Craftsman had a 54" deck and it fit on my 5' by 8' trailer, a little tight with the chute held up, but the 50" Dixie is just as tight if not a bit tighter.
The Craftsman deck is just a one piece shell with 3 blades. The Dixie has baffles and channels under the deck so the cut is smaller but the deck is bigger.

Dixie Front.jpgDixie Side.jpg

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #12  
Yep, I pulled the trigger on a 2013 Dixie Chopper Magnum 2250. That is 22hp with a 50" cut. :cool2::drink:

Smaller engine than my Craftsman but doesn't bog down at all like the riding mower.

Weird was the Craftsman had a 54" deck and it fit on my 5' by 8' trailer, a little tight with the chute held up, but the 50" Dixie is just as tight if not a bit tighter.
The Craftsman deck is just a one piece shell with 3 blades. The Dixie has baffles and channels under the deck so the cut is smaller but the deck is bigger.

View attachment 290679View attachment 290680

That's a fine looking machine and from all I've heard about Dixie Choppers I think you will be well pleased with it. Yeah, I went from a Craftsman(made by Husqvarna) 54" lawn tractor to the 52" Gravely ZTR and my ZTR is actually a little tighter fit in my garage space than the lawn tractor was. I'm sure glad I didn't get a 54" ZTR or I would have needed to build a bigger garage:0)
I only put 6 hours on my ZTR this fall and the one thing I like about it so far versus my old lawn tractors is absolutely no grass or dirt buildup underneath the deck(it's "stained" a greenish color but I haven't had to wash out underneath the deck at all....I had to do that after every mow on the lawn tractors or they would throw a belt because the blade hit a clump).

Funny thing was I just got the mower back to the house and "had" to test drive it.

I had about 15 minutes of mowing in, which covered a lot more ground than the old mower, and the sound/power of the blades changed?

It seems like they just wasn't getting as much "power". I would stop and the blades would speed back up...move forward a bit and they would slow back down. The motor never changed its sound, never bogged down. :confused3:

I called the dealer and he said he is on his way to my place. When the dealer guy showed up, he took it for a spin, adjusted a belt a bit but it didn't make any difference...still did the same thing.

He said, it is not right, he would bring the trailer by in the morning and pick it up.

Well, they dropped it off a few hours after picking it up and it runs great! You'll never guess what happened?

What happened you say? Well, I'm glad you asked.

He couldn't figure out what was going on so he was going to go back to the basics and took the belt off, once the belt was off the drive pulley fell off....it fell the F off...he said he never seen anything like it.

The main drive pully is connected to the clutch with 4 bolts and all the bolts had come out?! :shocked:

He said he check his other 2013 models and they all had loose bolts, from the factory.

So even the "Fastest Lawnmower in the World" can be slowed down by Quality Control.

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #14  
Wow, sounds like you(actually the dealer) was lucky that ZTR didn't throw a belt or worse the first time you used it!! Your dealer may need to fine tune his customer prep. One thing I noticed on my Gravely when I picked it up was that there were little "yellow X's"(kind of like a crayon marks) all over my mower, specifically at every "material fastening", "lube", etc. points. I asked and was told that every pre-delivery inspection includes checking the torque tension on every single bolt and lubing the mower before the customer picks it up(along with checking air/oil filters and oil/hydraulic levels). When I was ZTR shopping I got a lot of advice saying buying a ZTR from a dealer was so important instead of buying from a big box retailer and my experience proved why. I can guarantee you that Sears, Lowes & Home Depot don't do that thorough of a pre-delivery prep!!! Glad to hear your dealer responded appropriately to your problem!!!

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #15  
I've always been push mower guy but end of last mowing season started kinda looking at ztr's. Boy it all started kinda running together. Friend has a 60" bad boy and swears by it. I happen to like most Husqvarna stuff so got to looking at them. Seems there are millions of options, sizes, engines, brands, etc. I do have a DR brushcutter with Kawasaki engine, its a champ. Good luck with yours, I'm still looking.

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #16  
I've always been push mower guy but end of last mowing season started kinda looking at ztr's. Boy it all started kinda running together. Friend has a 60" bad boy and swears by it. I happen to like most Husqvarna stuff so got to looking at them. Seems there are millions of options, sizes, engines, brands, etc. I do have a DR brushcutter with Kawasaki engine, its a champ. Good luck with yours, I'm still looking.

robbyr,
Yeah, I feel your pain. I pursued the purchase of my first ZTR this past fall and there are SO MANY good ones out there that you have to decide whether you want a "residential", a high-end residential with some "commercial components" or a truly "commercial" ZTR based upon your needs(particularly how much area you mow, how many years you expect your investment to last or maintenance cost) and of course most importantly your budget. You need to make sure, when comparing different brands/models, that you are comparing "apples to apples"(it's easy to end up comparing a high-end residential to a commercial) and you just need to make sure the major components(engine series, trannies, deck thickness gauge, etc.) are at least "similar" to make sure any big $ difference isn't because it's a "apples to oranges" comparison. I too ended up with my head spinning after actually looking at 4-6 different choices but my advice to you is to (1)make sure you buy from a local dealer that you feel comfortable with after looking at their ZTR's(any needed service after the sale is important) and stay away from big box retailers that can't provide after-the-sale service; (2)the predominent ZTR engines for reliability are the Kawasaki's(FR series is residential, FS series is heavy duty and FX series is commercial); (3)warranties are important factors as they can indicate just how well made the ZTR is(especially note a ZTR that has both a Residential and a Commercial Warranty as this is a very good indication of reliability) and (4)try to find a ZTR in your price range that has a 7gauge(or 10gauge), chain suspended deck because these will be the most durable and easy to keep level(for a smooth finished cut). I ended up making offers on a Gravely(my 1st choice overall), a Bad Boy(my 2nd choice), a Hustler(my 3rd choice) and a Dixon(my 4th choice). But there are LOTS of other good ones(I also liked the Toros and the Husqvarnas..MZ series). I am VERY happy(only 6 hours so far) with my Gravely Pro-Turn XDZ 152 Commercial mower and the dealer came off almost $1,000 from the MSRP(including taxes) and the 2013 model went up another $300. If you have a local dealer that carries Gravely mowers I recommend you check them out. Also, don't be afraid to "haggle" with the dealer for an "out-the-door" price, especially if you can "afford" to pay cash...I was fortunate enough to have some savings for retirement that I could use without impacting my retirement too much. Good luck and I hope the info I provided will be helpful!!!

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #17  
Thanks for the info, don't know what I'll do yet, sure not getting any younger. Another mowing season is upon us

Update:

I have found that, for my needs, the Dixie Chopper doesn't "cut" it. :(

What I expected from using my cheapo Sears Craftsman mower, Snapper and even the belly mower on my Kubota, is that when I would drive over grass...it would be cut.

The reality with the Dixie Chopper 50" magnum, other models may be different, is that with the baffling under the deck the grass, if long enough, will just be pushed over and protected from springing up into the the blades of doom and cut.

Both my old Snapper and Sears had just a stamped deck, all open with the blades cutting anything that would pop up. The belly mower on my kubota has the front half of the deck open and only half baffles on the rear of the blades. They all cut great.

The Dixie is fully baffled, I've used single blades, x-blades, double blades, blades 1" shorter, but always get the same result. Rows of uncut or nearly uncut grass, so there would be like grass mohawks or just plane uncut grass.

Now granted I'm using the mower in, usually, tall grass by the time I get around to mowing it (shift worker). Some of the "yard" use to be pasture land. The grass can easy be 6", 12" even 24" in some spots before I can mow it.

I've even mowed over weed plants, you know with those little seed heads on top of a long single "stalk", and look behind me and they would be totally fine, seed heads still attached. :mad:

The grass would be to tall for the other mower to take on so I had to hook my belly mower back up, not my favorite activity since it took hours to hook up the drive shaft (trial and error, dealer never gave me a manual) Grr! The half baffled mower deck knocked down everything without a problem, even with the deck set on 3".

This isn't to knock the Dixie, it is a very fast mower when mowing slightly tall grass. When the grass is taller I've had to mow twice and sometimes three times, knocking the grass down a little farther each time. Mower deck set as high as it would go or 3" didn't seem to matter.

If Dixie made an unbaffled deck that I could change out I'd do it but as it stands I might be getting out the old grinder this winter and trying to cut some of the baffles out in the front of the deck.

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #19  
Funny thing was I just got the mower back to the house and "had" to test drive it.

I had about 15 minutes of mowing in, which covered a lot more ground than the old mower, and the sound/power of the blades changed?

It seems like they just wasn't getting as much "power". I would stop and the blades would speed back up...move forward a bit and they would slow back down. The motor never changed its sound, never bogged down. :confused3:

I called the dealer and he said he is on his way to my place. When the dealer guy showed up, he took it for a spin, adjusted a belt a bit but it didn't make any difference...still did the same thing.

He said, it is not right, he would bring the trailer by in the morning and pick it up.

Well, they dropped it off a few hours after picking it up and it runs great! You'll never guess what happened?

He couldn't figure out what was going on so he was going to go back to the basics and took the belt off, once the belt was off the drive pulley fell off....it fell the F off...he said he never seen anything like it.

The main drive pully is connected to the clutch with 4 bolts and all the bolts had come out?! :shocked:

He said he check his other 2013 models and they all had loose bolts, from the factory.

So even the "Fastest Lawnmower in the World" can be slowed down by Quality Control.

wow!
Funnynthing happened on the way to pay the propane bill today. the propane co. has been selling dixie choppers for the last few yrs. competition here is high, so they moved all their mowers to stores in other locations. except for one floor demo, a 2013 magnum 2250 with canopy. i have been lusting after the Ferris is2100z, but cant come close to justifying the $9k it will cost. have some serious cutting to do on multiple acres, fescue chest high. asked about the price, and ended up with $5400 out the door including the sun shade and tax. mtook it to the farm and started to work. my first ztr, so for a while was lika a two yr old trying to ride a motorcycle, but slowly got the hang of it. the mower really eats, and was sailing along great when at about the two hour mark, it bogged down, and acted just like u described, could sit, let the blades clear, but as soon as move forward,mbog down again. so weird, as it had just cut chest high grass with no problem. tomorrow i will track down the drive pulley and inspect the bolts (if there are any left!)!!hopefully, they are there and just need a wrench. i dont get a new mower very often and am always nervous as i have problems in the past with things falling apart from vibration, loose nuts, etc. i am almost positive that mine has the same problem and i cant wait to check it out. will report my findings. before it bogged down i did some major cutting and was really impressed, like you, coming from a husq 2254 manual xmission machine

thanks so much for this post, who knows how many people u have helped?

-sleepless in kentucky

moozic88

/ Bad Boy vs Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper mower decision #20  

wow!
Funnynthing happened on the way to pay the propane bill today. the propane co. has been selling dixie choppers for the last few yrs. competition here is high, so they moved all their mowers to stores in other locations. except for one floor demo, a 2013 magnum 2250 with canopy. i have been lusting after the Ferris is2100z, but cant come close to justifying the $9k it will cost. have some serious cutting to do on multiple acres, fescue chest high. asked about the price, and ended up with $5400 out the door including the sun shade and tax. mtook it to the farm and started to work. my first ztr, so for a while was lika a two yr old trying to ride a motorcycle, but slowly got the hang of it. the mower really eats, and was sailing along great when at about the two hour mark, it bogged down, and acted just like u described, could sit, let the blades clear, but as soon as move forward,mbog down again. so weird, as it had just cut chest high grass with no problem. tomorrow i will track down the drive pulley and inspect the bolts (if there are any left!)!!hopefully, they are there and just need a wrench. i dont get a new mower very often and am always nervous as i have problems in the past with things falling apart from vibration, loose nuts, etc. i am almost positive that mine has the same problem and i cant wait to check it out. will report my findings. before it bogged down i did some major cutting and was really impressed, like you, coming from a husq 2254 manual xmission machine

thanks so much for this post, who knows how many people u have helped?

-sleepless in kentucky

moozic88