Bad day of hay making

/ Bad day of hay making #21  
I can relate well. When I got into forage 30 years ago it was all open station with used (and beat equipment) that I was always fixing. After the first year of struggles I made up my mind that if I was going to do it as a business (I still do), I was going to buy and run top notch equipment so I sat down with my accountant and we (he) formulated a plan. Buy new, do quarterly payments, don't be concerned with interest rates because interest is a deduction and turn it every 5 years. I've stuck to that plan ever since with a couple exceptions, mainly tractors. I bought a New Kubota M9 with a cab in 2006 and a 105X in 2007. Didn't like the 105X, sold it last year but still have the M9 and this spring, bought another but an open station (for raking). I do not care for or want an emissions tractor so I run the Kubby's and they get well cared for. Far as implements, I turn them every 5 because one, they are fully depreciated , two, at 5 years they still bring a good buck (which is my down payment on new) and three because what my accountant wants.

I have to say I have not paid Uncle Sam in years either. My offsets always cover all liabilities. Do the same with my rental properties. Always make sure the 'improvements' offset the liabilities. I don't like paying the government anyway. All they do is pizz the money away. I'm much better at spending it.

/ Bad day of hay making
Better you than me. You must be a young buck. I'm an old fart.

I'm in my mid 40's, its not as easy as it was 10 years ago. Someday in the near future I'll have to get a grapple for the skid steer.

/ Bad day of hay making #23  
I utilized my '11 Kubota M7040 when AC compressor was out on my JD 4255 last year. I pulled my rd baler with the Kubota(64 pto hp) tractor until I replaced the compressor. I have checked my JD fuel consumption on my 4255(127 pto hp) before AC quite. JD 4255 used 3.2 gph while M7040 used 2.5 gph so .7 more gph for twice the pto HP. I'm similar to you in not liking the new newfangled electronic wizardry or payments as my farm equipment has been paid for for many yrs.
Jim

As been noted: The horsepower each tractor puts out are equal if they are running the same baler, at the same speed, taking in the same amount of hay.

The 4255 uses .7 gph more to output the SAME pto HP as the Kubota.

I'm curious how much of this extra fuel usage is to run the AC compressor?

/ Bad day of hay making #24  
I can relate well. When I got into forage 30 years ago it was all open station with used (and beat equipment) that I was always fixing. After the first year of struggles I made up my mind that if I was going to do it as a business (I still do), I was going to buy and run top notch equipment so I sat down with my accountant and we (he) formulated a plan. Buy new, do quarterly payments, don't be concerned with interest rates because interest is a deduction and turn it every 5 years. I've stuck to that plan ever since with a couple exceptions, mainly tractors. I bought a New Kubota M9 with a cab in 2006 and a 105X in 2007. Didn't like the 105X, sold it last year but still have the M9 and this spring, bought another but an open station (for raking). I do not care for or want an emissions tractor so I run the Kubby's and they get well cared for. Far as implements, I turn them every 5 because one, they are fully depreciated , two, at 5 years they still bring a good buck (which is my down payment on new) and three because what my accountant wants.

I have to say I have not paid Uncle Sam in years either. My offsets always cover all liabilities. Do the same with my rental properties. Always make sure the 'improvements' offset the liabilities. I don't like paying the government anyway. All they do is pizz the money away. I'm much better at spending it.

A neighbor that farms his own plus a bunch of leased land turns his equipment often. He never buys new, but instead buys used nearly new and he shops all over the US. He has bought some very expensive tractors/equipment that were repo'd or a farmer got out of farming. He has a trucker friend that is long haul and can check out and transport most equipment on the cheap. He really likes to get about 2year old equipment that hasn't run up many hours and then he sells and gets different. Many of the tractors change every 2years or so.

Same as you, he worked a plan with his accountant and with the internet and his contacts, he makes money on equipment, even after using it a couple years.

/ Bad day of hay making #25  
As been noted: The horsepower each tractor puts out are equal if they are running the same baler, at the same speed, taking in the same amount of hay.

Dont forget hauling around the extra weight of the tractor. Without looking up weights, I'd assume the machine with almost double the HP is double the weight. Takes power & fuel to move the extra weight.

I've heard its 1-2hp to run the A/C on most cars.

/ Bad day of hay making #26  

Both my tractors have cabs with AC. IIRC it takes about 3 HP to power AC compressor. I agree with Fallon maybe HP required to operate the rd baler at same mph is the same but 4255 outweighs the M7040 by a lot.

/ Bad day of hay making #27  
Both my tractors have cabs with AC. IIRC it takes about 3 HP to power AC compressor. I agree with Fallon maybe HP required to operate the rd baler at same mph is the same but 4255 outweighs the M7040 by a lot.
I have. Kubota M6800 & on the dyno it will loose 5hp when the AC is turned on.

/ Bad day of hay making #28  
I have. Kubota M6800 & on the dyno it will loose 5hp when the AC is turned on.
Seems a bit high. But I guess when you add in the fact you are in a greenhouse & the tranny is pushing a bunch if heat up into the cab it would be worse than a car. Hard to argue with data.

/ Bad day of hay making
Our last go around was much more productive. We made 925 square bales off 12 acres. Its amazing what a bunch of rain in June will do. Sold 200 straight out of the field and picked up the rest. Baler miss tied 4 bales but everything else went perfectly.

/ Bad day of hay making #30  
A neighbor that farms his own plus a bunch of leased land turns his equipment often. He never buys new, but instead buys used nearly new and he shops all over the US. He has bought some very expensive tractors/equipment that were repo'd or a farmer got out of farming. He has a trucker friend that is long haul and can check out and transport most equipment on the cheap. He really likes to get about 2year old equipment that hasn't run up many hours and then he sells and gets different. Many of the tractors change every 2years or so.

Same as you, he worked a plan with his accountant and with the internet and his contacts, he makes money on equipment, even after using it a couple years.

If you run it until it's basically shot, you don't get squat unless you find a sucker to buy it. Suckers are born everyday however.

One issue I experience when I first got into forage many years ago was, I didn't know squat about hay implements so I got 'suckered' into buying junk that was continually breaking down but as I gained experience and established the business,I went from 'used and abused' to new with a guarantee and usually in field service too. Makes a huge difference. Hat equipment, especially bailing equipment is very complex and all the mechanical and electronic systems have to operate correctly or you have big issues. My only exception to that is tractors. I WILL NOT run an emissions tractor of any kind. I've seen too many sitting in fields waiting for the service tech and hope to get repaired.