Bad day of hay making

/ Bad day of hay making #11  
I utilized my '11 Kubota M7040 when AC compressor was out on my JD 4255 last year. I pulled my rd baler with the Kubota(64 pto hp) tractor until I replaced the compressor. I have checked my JD fuel consumption on my 4255(127 pto hp) before AC quite. JD 4255 used 3.2 gph while M7040 used 2.5 gph so .7 more gph for twice the pto HP. I'm similar to you in not liking the new newfangled electronic wizardry or payments as my farm equipment has been paid for for many yrs.
Jim

Interesting but in reality you aren't using either one to it's full capacity Typical 4 foot RB requires 45-55 pto depending on bale diameter. Diesel is cheap right now but I don't believe it will be forever. be like inputs, go through the roof.

Nothing worse than no ac when running hay. Stuff makes me itch, nose run and eyes swell up.

Both tractors have been paid off for years. I need to have the one spend the winter at the dealer, it needs the overhead run and a new upper bushing in the left outboard planetary. Don't have the specialized tools to do the bushing and the overhead on my tractors takes some serious tearing apart.

/ Bad day of hay making #12  
I make 4X5.5 bales at maximum pressure on baler gauge @ 6 mph baling three 9'3'' swathes in hay normally averaging 2-4 bales per acre. 45-55 pto HP tractor can't handle that task very well if at all. I can bale faster than 6 mph but fire ants & gophers make the ground to rough to suit me.

/ Bad day of hay making
No cab tractors here. My dad had one 15 years ago but the A/C condenser kept getting so clogged up with chaff that it didn't work.

We make about 10,000 square bales a year and pickup by hand. Just have to get over the heat and realize its going to be a hot day.

/ Bad day of hay making #14  
No cab tractors here. My dad had one 15 years ago but the A/C condenser kept getting so clogged up with chaff that it didn't work..

I have 3 tractors with cabs(JD,Kubota & Ford) & all of the AC's blow cold air. One needs to care for tractor AC system much more diligently than a PU or auto that is utilized in a much less dust/chaff environment.

/ Bad day of hay making #15  
I have 3 tractors with cabs(JD,Kubota & Ford) & all of the AC's blow cold air. One needs to care for tractor AC system much more diligently than a PU or auto that is utilized in a much less dust/chaff environment.

+1 on that. My climate control unit is in my cab roof and the roof comes off every spring and I blow out the accumulated stuff. The cab filter gets some, but not all. I run a 12 volt fan in front of the condenser under the hood as well. Every little bit helps. Finally, I lined the underside of the cab roof with reflectix foil bubble foil to insulate the space between the roof and the ac components. Kubota's are noted for weak ac units, mine will freeze you out on a 100 degree day.

/ Bad day of hay making #16  
I make 4X5.5 bales at maximum pressure on baler gauge @ 6 mph baling three 9'3'' swathes in hay normally averaging 2-4 bales per acre. 45-55 pto HP tractor can't handle that task very well if at all. I can bale faster than 6 mph but fire ants & gophers make the ground to rough to suit me.

No ants or gophers here, just an ocasional wood hog hole. You need a JCB Fastrak with suspension...lol

/ Bad day of hay making #17  
I might add I don't ever use that cheap 35 buck a pail 334 crap either. All my hydraulics (tractor and implements) either get Chevron All Weather THC Synthetic or Shell Rotella VG Hydraulic oil. That cheap stuff is no good for seals or gear drives in tractors not only is it detrimental for seals, it don't contain the proper anti-wear additives for gear drive transmissions and wet clutches.. In fact, if I'm not mistaken on a new tractor or implement, using that stuff will void the warranty. Not something you need to be concerned with but none the less, it's junk.

Chevron is a jobber product only but the Rotella can be bought at TSC (if they have it in stock). Chevron is about $110.00 a pail and the Rotella is around 60 a pail.

Tractors run Chevron only. They are older so maintenance is everything. Have no desire to run an emissions tractor.

second this ^^^^

/ Bad day of hay making #19  
No cab tractors here. My dad had one 15 years ago but the A/C condenser kept getting so clogged up with chaff that it didn't work.

We make about 10,000 square bales a year and pickup by hand. Just have to get over the heat and realize its going to be a hot day.

Better you than me. You must be a young buck. I'm an old fart.

/ Bad day of hay making #20  
We grew alfalfa on 300 irrigated acres, 3 cuttings, 8-10tons per year per acre. Small (by today's standards) rectangular bales with 2 wires, ~100lbs each. When i was younger, Pa did most of the work, then when we were old enough, he picked up 2 more balers (IHC 56, 57, 57). They had engines on them so even a small Farmall H could pull one. We had an IHC 375 swather and had various methods of getting the bales out of the fields, sometimes by hand, bucking 100lb bales onto flatbed truck (worked ok with 4 people, but less and it would just wear us out). We had accumulator that gathered and dumped a set of 8 bales off baler (when Pa was just running one baler), then a homemade contraption that picked up the 8 bales and hauled them to the stack, the when I was about 15, we got a used New Holland harobed (I think a 1063 model, with 4 cyl Wisconsin air cooled engine, right hand drive, 63 bales, 7 layers of 8, with one tie layer having only 7 bales)..

Maintenance was the key, breakdowns could cause hay to get rained on, but also delayed getting the irrigation water back on. I'm not sure how well I would do with the modern hay equipment, I see one of the neighbors is getting his hay cut with IHC 375.. brings back memories.

All of our equipment was open station. Yep, some days were hotter than others, but it was life.