Bad design rant.

/ Bad design rant. #21  
While the spare is very accessible it does get in the way of a bed liner or cover. And the sun tends to eat it too!

Bed liner or cover?? My dtrucks are for working not looking good.

/ Bad design rant. #22  
Lug nut torque fir Subaru is 88 ft lbs. Garages routinely torque them to 120.

I've had rims ruined and studs snapped buying tires... and then they tried to cover it up!

This is why I try to do all my own work... even brought just the rims in and all this happened on 3/4 ton pickups...

As for spares... Model A's and T's have side fender mounted or rear mounted which makes it very easy... also the 75 year old jacks work great...

/ Bad design rant. #23  
Speaking of a key to get a spare off- on my 98 Silverado the spare had a padlock on it from the factory. DUMB The key was on the with the ignition key ring. Only problem with that was IT WAS THE WRONG KEY! Did the bolt cutters on the lock at 1AM . The truck was still under warranty when this happened. Then I went back to the dealer where I bought it and expressed my "not so happy" experience. They did give me a new padlock though. No apologizes nothing. Wouldn't even consider any reimbursement for my trouble.

/ Bad design rant.
It just keeps getting worse.

I removed the damaged harness. It is an OEM part from Ford. My wife took the part to the dealership where I bought the harness in the first place. She said they seemed to have a hard time figuring out which part to order and they come back to the counter and tell her Ford no longer makes this harness and they do not have it. So, nicely, they go on the computer and find one at a dealership about three hours from here. They say they can order it or she can just call them and order it. She agrees to do it herself. They print out the part number for her. She calls and orders at $120.

It arrives. Wrong part. My wife calls the place where she ordered it and they say it is a part that is no longer manufactured and they refuse to take it back. They said nothing about this when she ordered it. She calls the local Ford place and tells them the problem, since they gave her the wrong part number to begin with. They will not do anything to help.

Things are messed up in this world right now. People don't even seem to know how to do the right thing anymore. I'm disgusted. I can't find a replacement and this harness is quite complex as it ties into the left side rear turn signal.

I tried e-trailer.com. Ordered the part listed for my truck. It did not have the right connectors. Their website has two parts with the same part # designated to fit different models. Don't know which one they sent. They took it back of course because they are typically good to work with. It cost me $11 in shipping. They are investigating which part I should have gotten.

So now I'm trying to repair the damaged end of the original OEM harness. The whole vehicle side female connector got crushed and wires pulled out of it. I've got the wires back in place. Bought a cheap receptacle to plug it into and a $20 trailer circuit tester. It seems to work except for the trailer brake circuit. Reviews say that this tester gets this wrong sometime. I'll have to try that out on the actual trailer as the trailer brake unit will tell if the trailer brakes are working. In the meantime, the $14 receptacle is so cheap the tester or trailer plug will hardly stay in it. I'll have to get something more robust.

Anyway, I'm nearly $160 in the hole and still only have a partial solution.

I think I'm going to head up to Charlotte tonight and join the riots.

/ Bad design rant. #25  
If you've made changes from original connectors use solder and shrink wraps if possible. Also leave a little extra wire length.

/ Bad design rant. #26  
Can you contest with credit card company?

The part was not special order as it was in stock.

Speak to the Parts Manager or Principal of the Dealership

Maybe ask both Dealerships to get the zone manager involved and don't take NO for an answer... as a customer it is their job to become involved when a problems escalates.

/ Bad design rant.
If you've made changes from original connectors use solder and shrink wraps if possible. Also leave a little extra wire length.

Fortunately I did not have to. The wires had pulled out of the plug that plugs into the plug that the trailer plugs into. :roll eyes:

They still had their little metal connectors in them so I just carefully pushed each one back into the socket. Got it all hooked up now and everything tested okay with the tester including the trailer brakes. I'm not completely confident in all this but will test things out on the trailer before I haul anything.

As for spares, I don't mind the under the bed spare. I just think having a key for it is stupid. Maybe they steal spare tires in Detroit. It does not seem to be a problem around here.

We had an old IH Scout that had the spare up on the roof. It was actually a great place for it. You can get a 4x4 pickup into places where it can be challenging to get a spare out from underneath it. BTDT. But, this truck has a short bed. With a toolbox and a spare back there there isn't much room for anything else.

/ Bad design rant.
Can you contest with credit card company?

The part was not special order as it was in stock.

Speak to the Parts Manager or Principal of the Dealership

Maybe ask both Dealerships to get the zone manager involved and don't take NO for an answer... as a customer it is their job to become involved when a problems escalates.

I plan on doing that on Monday. My wife has been handling this up until now, GBHS. I feel pretty sure dealerships and mechanics treat her differently from how they treat me.

And you are correct, the part was in stock. I paid shipping to get it and I'll pay shipping to send it back. They've got about 5 minutes of S&H labor in it and I'd pay a restocking fee too if I had to. But to refuse to take it back, even though it was never used and in the original box is just creepy if you ask me. All they have to do is put the box back on the shelf as it shipped in its original box!

So I'll talk to them Monday. If they refuse I'll post my experience on Facebook. It won't bother them but it will make me feel better.

/ Bad design rant. #29  
Did you check at wrecking yards or on craigslist to see if anyone was parting out a similar vehicle that you might get the harness section from?

/ Bad design rant.
Bed liner or cover?? My dtrucks are for working not looking good.

Mine too, but that bed matt has saved my bacon plenty of times and a bedliner would have been better. Forgot I had a several hundred pound rock in the bed when I whipped out of a parking lot. I thought someone had hit me when it hit the tailgate. Put a dent in it. A liner would have helped. But, after dumping (as gingerly as possible) several loads of these large rocks in the bed using my FEL there are no dents in the floor of my bed due to the thick rubber bed mat. The other thing i like about the rubber bed mat is that it gives good traction for feet and cargo.