Bad fuel lift pump?

/ Bad fuel lift pump? #1  

Arc weld

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 135
I have a 1965 UK 135. I must have got some bad diesel because a week ago it started fine and quit after 10 minutes. I noticed some diesel in the snow from where it was parked and then discovered the sediment bowl was not only loose but full of ice. The glass cup on the bottom of the first fuel filter was also full of ice. Trying to thaw the ice, the sediment bowl cracked so I picked up a new sediment bowl and fuel filters. Put the new sediment bowl and filters on and put 5 gallons of diesel in the tank. Tried the lift pump and there was no resistance when pumping so I loosened the sediment bowl and let it fill to overflowing. Tried the lift pump again and it's not pumping. Turned the engine with the starter and then tried lift pump again and still nothing. I know it worked in the summer because I had a little dirt in the fuel line that made the tractor stall. Could the water in the fuel have wrecked the diaphragm in the lift pump? It was right around freezing today but of course it's supposed to get colder now.

/ Bad fuel lift pump? #2  
You could pressurize the fuel tank to get the tractor going but you may still have to replace the lift pump if the ice did damage it. If the diaphragm does have a hole on some models it can leak diesel into the crank case your model I'm not familiar with to give any sound advice.

/ Bad fuel lift pump?
I've heard a leaking lift pump will drain into the crankcase. I'm thinking the water/ice soaked the diaphragm and that caused it to fail? I'll have a wait till I can go back out and check after it's had the diesel sitting in it but I'm guessing I'll need a new lift pump. It's always something bizarre.

/ Bad fuel lift pump? #4  
Before replacing the lift pump take it off plug 1 hole and give it some air pressure I was told to keep the pressure down to 30 or 40 lbs. but I'd already bought a new one so I attached a gauge plugged the other hole put 120 lbs. in it and it was still holding in the morning so I obviously wasted $120 for a new one.