Bad Hydraulics?

/ Bad Hydraulics? #1  

8N_John

Silver Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N
I have noticed that after I raise the drawbar on the 8N I jsut bought, it will automatically lower all the way down on its own after a couple days. I haven't yet hooked anything to it (brushhog, etc). Should I expect that the hydraulics won't be able to support the brushhog for a day of mowing or is it normal for the hydraulics to automatically lower after a couple days of sitting?

/ Bad Hydraulics? #2  
If it takes a couple days with implement on you're ok. If not loaded, could be a problem. Serious lift cyl leakage will cause hiccups, where lift arms conyinuously cycle up and down. There are ways get around that for cutting with chains from top link boss to front of cutter or lift pins. Cutter rests on chains instead of lift arms. There's a post of a DIY chain arrangement, along with my factory made type somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

/ Bad Hydraulics?
If the hydraulics are marginal, would using chains help preserve the hydraulics (maybe make them last another year or two)?? Do people use chains even if the hydraulics are good?

/ Bad Hydraulics? #4  
Wait until you put the cutter on it. Start the tractor let it reach normal temp. (leave the PTO shaft off, you don't need the blades running) With the engine at about 1/4, try the lift, it should go up smoothly all the way to the top. Turn it off, if it leaks down right away then you should probably do some work on it. (seals) But if it stays up an hour or more I would save for a winter project. That won't effect your using it to mow with.

/ Bad Hydraulics? #5  
John
I notice you are doing a lot to your 8N. I have own them for the past 35 yrs and have restored 4 of them and I found these sites very helpful. There are links on these that will take you to other sites. Should take you a week to visit them all. But you will find info, parts, photos, ideas, manuals. etc. Most have forums, some aren't as active as this, some are. There are others I will come back and add them as I think of them.
check em out!

www.ntractorclub.com
www.nseries.com/forum
www.ssbtractor.com
www.ytmag.com
www.8ntractors.com
www.8nford.com
www.antiquetractors.com

/ Bad Hydraulics? #6  
Here's the whole thread containing a few setups, including one for a Jubilee and a link to the factory adjustable one for my cutter. I think it will save your hydraulics, especially with a heavy cutter.

hydraulic beating thread

/ Bad Hydraulics? #7  
The limit chain takes the stress off the hyds.. but if they are weak.. they are weak.. they don't magically heal.

Sometimes you can bandaid a weak lift by using 90wt hyd oil instead of the NH 134d stuff.

Doing a pump R&R and lift cover R&R is only about 1 full days work, and about 100$ in parts as long as no hard parts are bad. I.E. if the pump housing and chambers are good, and if the hyd cyl is good enough.. all you need is the seals, new piston.. I recomend a new relief/check valve.. etc. If you have a good back or a helper.. it is not a hard job.. just messy.. I did one in september.

Soundguy