bad ignition switch ?

/ bad ignition switch ? #1  

weedwalkins

Tractor
Bolens G9
ok guys , I have replaced the points/condenser , the armature coil and still no spark , but i'm wondering if I have a bad ignition switch , it turns over with the key , but if water or moisture got inside the switch somehow would it still turn the engine over but keep it from starting up ?

/ bad ignition switch ?
well I have a spark now if I take a screwdriver and put it in the end of the plug wire and ground it on the engine while turning it over , but when I put the plug wire back on the plug and ground the plug out on the block while turning the engine over I dont see a spark , i've done this with 4 or 5 different plugs !

/ bad ignition switch ? #3  
so now you have a weak spark? just not enough to jump the plug gap.
Maybe check all your gaps again, flywheel, points, spark plug.

Also, clean the points good before and after gapping them.
Any grime, etc.. between the points doesn't help.
Put a clean matchbook cover between them, let them clamp shut, and pull it out. Just make sure there isn't anything between the point contacts.

edited to add this: maybe check for wear in the crank/flywheel end again too...try wiggling it.
If there's any play there, it will mess with the coil/flywheel gap.
Sometimes, you can set the coil gap a little wide to compensate for this somewhat.

Last edited:
   / bad ignition switch ?
thanks tony , I just found out i can convert to electronic ignition and found a conversion kit in the next town closest to me , gonna go pick it up and see if that solves my problem , but again , thanks for the help , Scott

/ bad ignition switch ?
ok , conversion to electronic ignition is done and it fired rite up , amazing , lol. So now after playing with the 3 different carb settings ,i have got it out of adjustment , anyone know what the settings are for the 3 different screws on the 8 hp briggs ? I always used to set them at 3 turns out from bottoming them out , but it wont start again now. Any help sure would be appreciated , thanks in advance !