Bad ignition switch?

/ Bad ignition switch? #1  

jdfour

Tractor
kubota BX24
2006 bx24 was having intermittent problems shutting off tractor. Then tractor would not shut off at all. Had to disconnect battery to shut it down. Any damage in doing that? The switch obviously needs to be replaced. Is this an easy fix? And how do I go about getting it out?
Just did a quick search, checked fuses they were all good. Wiggled connections on start switch. Will try solenoid shutdown if it happens again. How will I know if it is a bad solenoid or the starter switch?

Last edited:
   / Bad ignition switch? #2  
Disconnecting the battery de-energized the shutdown solenoid and it shutoff fuel flow. The solenoid worked as it should.

/ Bad ignition switch?
Must be the switch then?

/ Bad ignition switch? #4  
Must be the switch then?
Could be the switch, could be wiring. If you can get access to the switch, check its continuity. You will likely need the wiring diagram for you machine. If you have a copy of the shop manual it will give likely you the steps to do this. If you don’t have a copy, you’ll likely need to see how to get access to the switch.

/ Bad ignition switch? #5  
See if you can find comparable year, model at kubotabooks.com. I was able to download the service manual for my 2009 BX 2660 and it was a great resource to troubleshoot.

/ Bad ignition switch?
Thank you, I will check there. Maybe youtube also. They often have some good videos.

/ Bad ignition switch? #7  
From the Messicks website...

Kubota #K7571-62103 STARTER SWITCH,ASSY.​

This is the easiest fix you will make on your Kubota! Unscrew the bezel from the front side of the dashboard (I just used pliers) and pull out the key assembly behind/under the dash. It will dangle by the wire harness. Unplug the connector, and plug it into the replacement. Pop it back in the dash from the back, screw on the bezel, and you're done! The same key as you had before still works.
8/2/2023
Littlerock, CA
THOMAS

/ Bad ignition switch?
Thank you, I wasn't sure how it came out. Wires looked good, so I will be going to local dealer to pick up new switch.

/ Bad ignition switch? #9  
I replaced the ignition switch on my 1999 L3710 recently. I got one from Messicks and it only took a few minutes to install. The old switch had a problem of some sort I'm not really sure what it was. Maybe someone can comment. When fully engaged all the way clockwise the engine would turn over but never fire. By allowing the key to turn slightly counterclockwise while still cranking it would fire. It was tricking to get it running that way. I assume it wasn't allowing fuel to get to the engine but I may be wrong. The new switch fixed the issue completely.

/ Bad ignition switch? #10  
I guess this is a common problem with Kubotas? I have a 2010 L3400 and began experiencing the no start issue. At first, I thought it was the battery, then I wiggled the wires under the dash connecting the ignition switch, and it started right up. Guess I'll be replacing mine as well.