Bad mig welds

/ Bad mig welds
Going to try cleaning gun. It does seem to be a sheilding problem after searching the net. The tips got changed several times while I was having this problem as there was a lot of splatter. Tried differant pieces of metal to make sure it was not problem, all was cleaned with grinder before welding. I really could not believe the welds I was getting at 1st. They reminded me of brazing or soldering due to how smooth it was and the edges looked like they flowed into the metal. The welds I started getting though made it look like I was useing the 120v fluxcore on something to big. Thanks for all the replies. Got a lot answers in a short time. Will post what I find

/ Bad mig welds
Inspector........ You posted about "film" on the wire.
I have not heard of this before.
Are you talking about some sort of corrosion that can be seen or something else?
Or something like dust from the cooling fan sucking in dirty air?

/ Bad mig welds #13  
Some how you are not getting gas. You should not ahve to do anything extra to get the gas started. Is your gun liner leaking? I'm not sure what to look at but I am sure you have a lack of gas issue.

/ Bad mig welds #14  
You have a gas issue, your not getting the proper gas coverage on your weld.
Clogged tip, gun not pushed into welder completely, "O" ring leaking...etc

You can get a film of corrosion on your wire and it will not feed correctly and will just quit feeding during a weld and just drive ya crazy, it will feed all day long when not welding and the only way to fix it is to pitch that roll in the trash and start with a new roll.

/ Bad mig welds #15  
dirt clod said:
Inspector........ You posted about "film" on the wire.
I have not heard of this before.
Are you talking about some sort of corrosion that can be seen or something else?
Or something like dust from the cooling fan sucking in dirty air?

If a spool of wire has been exposed for a signifcant amount of time there could be some "film" on the wire. I don't know if it's a sort of oxidation or not, but in your case a lot more experienced people than me seem to think it's a gas issue. It very well coild be.

/ Bad mig welds
It was a gas issue. Took the nozzle off and it had splatter inside. I wondered why and how, Then I remebered the most recent welding I had to do was welding under a plate with gun pointing up. Thanks.

/ Bad mig welds #17  
A couple of things with migs . 1 , If you pull the trigger with slag shorting across from the tip to the nozzle the mig wire in the liner will heat up red hot . If you have a nylon liner the wire will melt into it and cause tracks to form . These tracks will cause the wire to jam and shudder and give you trouble . Sometimes it can melt right through the liner and cause gas leakage . 2 , It is important to keep the wire from rusting . I cover my reel with a heavy cloth and i also put a piece of soft cloth on the welding wire just before it goes into feeder tube in front of the pinch rollers and hold it on with a cloths peg . This wipes off any rust particles as the wire is fed into the liner which in turn keeps the liner clean .

/ Bad mig welds #18  
Gas issues,birdnesting,melted liners,jelly,clogged nozzles,extra tips,filmy wire.....
Tell me again how great them squirt guns are...ROFLOL.

/ Bad mig welds #19  
Every welding process has it's application. Without question stick is the most universal. But, on new work or a cleanable repair I always use MIG. It's fast, I get a better weldment, minimal smoke and I do not have to jack with slag. JMHO.
Legdoc

/ Bad mig welds #20  
bobodu said:
Gas issues,birdnesting,melted liners,jelly,clogged nozzles,extra tips,filmy wire.....
Tell me again how great them squirt guns are...ROFLOL.

It helps if the operator is smarter than the machine...and the more complex the machine the smarter one has to be. Lets see..?..a single stick melted by an electric current...Hmmmm:eek: