Tires balast in tires

/ balast in tires #31  
Mike I the same problem trying to decide how to ballast the back of my tractor. I first had decided to put fluid in the tires, but everyone I asked about it said not to do it. This was farmers, dealer, tire dealers no one advised doing it. Also the property we own was formly owned by a builder who scattered nails everywhere. I already have gotten 3 in my tractor tires. So I went to the local farm machinery scrap yard and found 4 old wheel weights. The hole pattern was perfect. They weighed a total of 490 lbs & cost $125.00. They also have 100 lb suitcase weights for $50.00 each. I am also going to get a 3 pt suitcase weight bracket from New Holland at a cost of $83.00. I was lucky to remember that my brother had an old abandoned MF combine that still had 5 100 lb suitcase weights still on it. He was kind enough to let me use them at no cost. So between the wheel weights, suitcase weights or an implement on the rear I am within the ballast range the manual says is required for loader work. Chris

/ balast in tires #32  
Two weeks ago I took the same approach as Name Taken (Mike Simpson). I have 24 inch wheels so, I used 50 lb. weights. They measured 18" by 1.75". I put four on each side. They work great. I can now bushhog going across slopes, that before I would only go up and down on. The weights cost me 76 cents a pound at Wal-Mart. The weights and the brackets all together ran me about $350. I just didn't want the problems that you can have with ballast in tires. JerryG

/ balast in tires #33  
Can someone post some pics of the weights on their tractors. I had calicum placed in my tires on the purchase date . I am not sure if my tires are tubless or not I will have to look on the side of tires to see. If they are not I may consider emptying them out because most of the time I have my backhoe on the machine anyway and come the winter when I plan on taking the bh of I will make up weights to go on the back of the tractor on the 3 point hitch system for ballast.

/ balast in tires #34  
Greetings;

I have a '53 Jubilee with filled rear tires. The previous owner(s) did that and I have no idea how long ago. Two things can arise using the calcium chloride of yesteryear. If you develope a small leak there is a good possibility that that your rims will rust out from underneath you. I am going to have to drain mine and have no idea on how to dispose of the fill.

Secondly, a gallon of water weighs about 10 lbs, so a filled tire becomes pretty heavy pretty quick. A full sized rear tire with rubber,rim and fill can weigh in the 500 lb range which makes them potentially pretty dangerous when they are not tethered to the tractor. With removable weights there is an arguable edge in the safety department.

Cheers, Erik