Tires balast in tires

/ balast in tires #21  
Bird, I guess that was before you learned about owl poop? I wouldn't recommend running in 4WD on pavement even with owl poop in the front axle. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ balast in tires #22  
Yeah, Andy, to get that price, I'd have to drive to someplace in MD to get it. The two hour or so drive would be easily worth it, though, to save that kind of freight.

Mark

/ balast in tires #23  
I keep my front tires ballasted to 50%, though I intend to use weights instead when I can get around to it.

I run owl poop in the front end of my tractor, but with or without it, I wouldn't run in 4wd on pavement (unless it was covered with ice), with or without ballast in the front tires.

Mark

/ balast in tires #24  
Andy thanks for the great info---that is a definite winter project. Once again you did a nice looking job. Nothing better to me than a homemade job that looks like store bought if you know what I mean. I love building and fabricating stuff. Thats one reason I enjoy my daytime job for the challenge of a job and the satisfaction when completed.
Gordon

/ balast in tires #25  
Mark if you do come across the name please let me have it. I'm in Delaware so alot of places in MD. aren't to far away for me to drive.
I will also have to check local for price as well and work on the dimensions that I will need. Thanks
Gordon

/ balast in tires #26  
I came across a quote for bolt on wheel weights fabricated for Kubota tractors in the local Dallas/Ft. Worth area. 214# for $130. I assume that that is a pair of weights and that you can put up to three sets on many tractors.

/ balast in tires #27  
What are the opinions of a 55 gal drum (cut in half) filled with concrete connected to the 3 point hitch? My L245dt seems awfully lite in the back and I have seen this done on other tractors

/ balast in tires #28  
It will work fine. There is a website referenced here (search ballast) describing in detail doing this. Most of us just keep a short implement on the rear such as a tiller or heavy boxblade that you can use at the same time as the loader and kill two birds at once. I can till up a patch and then scoop it up. With the box blade, drop the scarfiers and loosen it up then pick it up with the loader. The weight on the 3 point is better than the weight on the wheels. That said, if you are trying to pick up 2200# with the loader, you may still be a little light with a pretty good sized weight on the rear. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ balast in tires #29  
Like Wen said, you can probably find a site that describes doing just that, but I've forgotten where it was. Basically, it was to put a steel rod through the barrel before filling it with concrete with the rod the proper diameter and length to fit into the lower links on your 3-point, and of course, you can put another steel rod or bar in the top to connect to the top link if you want. But I just do like Wen; have either the box blade or tiller on the 3-point when using the loader.

Bird