Bale falls off trailer, strikes motorcycle driver causing wreck

/ Bale falls off trailer, strikes motorcycle driver causing wreck #11  
Maybe he was traveling in the opposite direction

Way to think outside the box Loadstar! That's a good point, and certainly a possibility. In which case, the motorcyclists are lucky to be alive.

/ Bale falls off trailer, strikes motorcycle driver causing wreck #12  
Way to think outside the box Loadstar! That's a good point, and certainly a possibility. In which case, the motorcyclists are lucky to be alive.

ditto. I hadnt thought of that

/ Bale falls off trailer, strikes motorcycle driver causing wreck #13  
It's shocking to see loads improperly tied down, especially guys hauling implements or tractors. People think if they are going only a short distance or it's only a small tractor it doesn't need to be secured very well. Not true...one strap or chain per wheel and tie the implement down as well. If it was on your trailer or vehicle and falls off, it's your problem.

/ Bale falls off trailer, strikes motorcycle driver causing wreck #14  
i like how the news always points out he was not wearing a helmet. If your getting hit by a 40 to 60 lb bale at highway speed, a helmet will not help.

/ Bale falls off trailer, strikes motorcycle driver causing wreck #15  
i like how the news always points out he was not wearing a helmet. If your getting hit by a 40 to 60 lb bale at highway speed, a helmet will not help.
Yes it does. It keeps the pieces together for the funeral.

We were on the way back to Virginia from Mississippi in our VW Jetta and slightly south of Scottsboro, TN when I passed a hay truck with 3 LARGE round bales. After we got around it I looked back in my rear view and saw a full bale roll off. It didn't hit anybody put made me more wary. 15 seconds difference between road kill and "WHEW".

/ Bale falls off trailer, strikes motorcycle driver causing wreck #16  
I like those systems(and similar aftermarket). But put 25 bales of feed on the truck, that hang over the side. Unless you make some attachment to those ties before you load the truck, it will be impossible to reach them. For most though, hauling like that would be infrequent.

that is when I see bales on the road; people really loaded up, where the only tie that would work is some sort of exterior tie/hook.

You need to look at Nissan trucks. Since 2003 they have put 2 rails down each side, one across the front, and two on the floor. It then has 8 fully movable HD tie down rings.

Just one of the many reason's I am a Titan fan.

Chris

/ Bale falls off trailer, strikes motorcycle driver causing wreck #17  
It does make you wonder if the motorcycle driver was riding to close behind, it's all too common. The item I see most often is someone with a mattress on the top of their car. Usually one thin rope and someone trying to hold it while driving. Sometimes it's bent in half. That'll screw up your day if you ride into it.

/ Bale falls off trailer, strikes motorcycle driver causing wreck #18  
You need to look at Nissan trucks. Since 2003 they have put 2 rails down each side, one across the front, and two on the floor. It then has 8 fully movable HD tie down rings.

Just one of the many reason's I am a Titan fan.

Chris

Chris,
This is a little off subject, but did you restore an old barn, or are those old timber posts from something? I'm interested in your shop, looks like some reclaimed posts if they aren't original to the structure.

/ Bale falls off trailer, strikes motorcycle driver causing wreck #19  
I see unrestrained bailed hay/straw/alfalfa all the time. There's five feed stores nearby. The guys will load the truck for you, but you are responsible to tie it off. Most people do not. And, you will see a bail of hay/feed here and there.

As you drive around, how many pickups do you see with a decent set of hooks on the side. Few to none. One, they look awful. Two, even if someone does add hooks, most trucks dont have the super heavy sides to bolt them in to; the sheet metal is thinner than in days past.

That has been one of my pet peeves for a while; all these "heavy duty" or "super duty" $40-60k pickups out there, none of them come with a good restraint setup. Really, for a long bed pickup 5 hooks minimum down the side; at least three for short beds. Sure, the trucks might have a couple of loops in the corners, but you cant really secure a larger load, especially if the bed is full and reaching over the sides and cab.
The Title of the thread stated that a Bale fell off a TRAILER - a red trailer that the Pickup was towing. I agree with the lack of tiedowns on Pickups, but the owners of PU's can install and utilize a tiedown system. I feel sorry for ALL parties involved. Just a thought.

/ Bale falls off trailer, strikes motorcycle driver causing wreck #20  
It's shocking to see loads improperly tied down, especially guys hauling implements or tractors. People think if they are going only a short distance or it's only a small tractor it doesn't need to be secured very well. Not true...one strap or chain per wheel and tie the implement down as well. If it was on your trailer or vehicle and falls off, it's your problem.

EVERY time you haul a load you should look at it and picture yourself in court and ask yourself if you could do anything more to secure it. If something happens you will have to answer that question in front of a court.