Bale storage...

/ Bale storage... #1  

Southernspeed

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Furgeson 2850M
A good position to be in I guess, first year doing hay too, but I've run out of covered storage room and at the moment have 16 round bales on one trailer and 8 on a wagon. I have a tarp covering them that I remove by day if it's dry and replace at night. Is it ok to just leave them covered or will they spoil? This is horse hay I don't want to weather too much. Bales are pretty low moisture and baled 2 weeks ago.
Any thoughts/experience with tarp'd bales?

/ Bale storage... #2  
I found tarps can trap moisture if in direct contact. Try to put 2x4’s across the top to allow air circulation. Allow air to circulate around all sides of the bales

/ Bale storage... #3  
Well if you’re feeding horses just putting them on a rusty wagon destroys them. If cows, why even cover them? So bottom line, what are you trying to do with the hay?

/ Bale storage...
Well if you’re feeding horses just putting them on a rusty wagon destroys them. If cows, why even cover them? So bottom line, what are you trying to do with the hay?
Where did you get 'rusty wagon' from? It's all wood and built a couple of months ago.

/ Bale storage... #5  
Where did you get 'rusty wagon' from? It's all wood and built a couple of months ago.
Tell that to the horse hay buyers.

In all seriousness, what are you trying to do with the hay? That would probably help with recommendations for how to store it.

/ Bale storage...
Tell that to the horse hay buyers.

In all seriousness, what are you trying to do with the hay? That would probably help with recommendations for how to store it.
It’s for our horses and the excess gets sold. I’ll only use around 40 bales if that so I’ll have about 60 for sale on top of what’s sold already.
The analysis put it at very good horse hay which is why I don’t want it to weather too much. Once a few more sell I can get these in the barn but no one’s buying at the moment around here.

/ Bale storage... #7  
It’s for our horses and the excess gets sold. I’ll only use around 40 bales if that so I’ll have about 60 for sale on top of what’s sold already.
The analysis put it at very good horse hay which is why I don’t want it to weather too much. Once a few more sell I can get these in the barn but no one’s buying at the moment around here.
There’s low interest in hay this time of year because everyone usually has hay this time of year.

People start looking for hay from January-April, because that’s when all the people who can’t afford to buy enough in the summer run out.

/ Bale storage... #8  
Round bale.... horse hay???

Ya...those are destine for field feeding. Stick them on some lumber or pallets and cover lightly with something...

If they are not in a shelter, it is a race against time for "horse" hay.

/ Bale storage... #9  
This is just a recommendation but if you’re making the horse hay for you and want to sell the excess I would find the nearest cattle guy and offer him a good package price on most of the remaining rolls. You won’t get the premium price but you’ll get out of having to store and manage them. Save like 5-10, if you have room, to sell to horse people late in the winter when hay gets scare and use that to get your foot in the horse hay market.

All joking aside, I don’t really like selling to horse people because the are extremely opinionated and seem to want to lecture you about how to make hay if it’s their first time buying, the worst was a 20 something woman who was rescuing horses I still remember her. It’s a hard market to get into as well, horse people have their “hay guy” and if they don’t they only buy from another horse person’s hay guy until they find their own. You have an advantage if you’re already in the local horse circle but not sure how far that will go. I will say they won’t touch it under a tarp or on the ground, the first question is always about how it’s stored the second question is chemicals/fertilizers applied…I’m pretty sure most could lecture for hours about chemicals but couldn’t tell you more than two types of grass 🤔

FWIW I’M three years into making my own hay and have only a handful of hose people that call me and usually it’s only at the end of the year when their primary suppliers are out of hay.

/ Bale storage... #10  
This is just a recommendation but if you’re making the horse hay for you and want to sell the excess I would find the nearest cattle guy and offer him a good package price on most of the remaining rolls. You won’t get the premium price but you’ll get out of having to store and manage them. Save like 5-10, if you have room, to sell to horse people late in the winter when hay gets scare and use that to get your foot in the horse hay market.

All joking aside, I don’t really like selling to horse people because the are extremely opinionated and seem to want to lecture you about how to make hay if it’s their first time buying, the worst was a 20 something woman who was rescuing horses I still remember her. It’s a hard market to get into as well, horse people have their “hay guy” and if they don’t they only buy from another horse person’s hay guy until they find their own. You have an advantage if you’re already in the local horse circle but not sure how far that will go. I will say they won’t touch it under a tarp or on the ground, the first question is always about how it’s stored the second question is chemicals/fertilizers applied…I’m pretty sure most could lecture for hours about chemicals but couldn’t tell you more than two types of grass 🤔

FWIW I’M three years into making my own hay and have only a handful of hose people that call me and usually it’s only at the end of the year when their primary suppliers are out of hay.

Some truths spoken there.
The horse hay market is difficult.

I went through more than a dozen psycho freaks before I settled on 4 customers I have stayed with for many years and I sell almost exclusively to them. They are sane, realistic, stable and usually bathed & fully clothed when I deliver to them.

If you think you want to get into selling horse hay, I’d suggest you line-up some courses in anger management and forget about having any Sundays off.