Ball hitch

/ Ball hitch #11  
The sleeve in the middle is there because it was cut to fit. Many times MH axles come new in 2 pieces and are welded at the manufacture or on site with the sleeve supplied to fix to the proper width. Think about it, there is no way to get it on the axle tube once constructed because of the brake mounting tabs and the arch of the axle. Its been there since day one, not to beef it up.

I moved a 70' MH with my F-350 about 4 years ago for a local church. Church members did all the prep work and I donated my truck and a few hours of my time. Not that heavy, about 15,000# but sure long. Took lots of planning on the route and making the turns but the trip went well with the aid of chase vehicles. The trip was only 3 miles or so and took about 10 minutes at 30 mph or so.

It was donated to the church by someone to a poor family but everyone wanted $500 or more to transport it 3 miles. I did it for free since my neighbors mom knew the family getting it. Only issue I had was backing it in on the grass and dirt that was still wet from the rain the night before. There were about 20 church members were on hand to help set it up once on site and one had a Bravada and another a Jeep to help me pull it with straps into place. Anyway the axles on it were done the same way.

Chris

/ Ball hitch #12  
Chris is right. The sleeve in the middle was added due to the fact the axles were wider (9-10') for hauling a MH and a center section was cut out and sleeved for a shorter width. All the full size MH axles I've seen were one piece arched or curved instead of straight across and must be carefully marked before cutting and sleeving to keep the axles and hubs true or the tires will wear out quickly.

/ Ball hitch
Thanks for the information on the sleeve on the axles which makes sense.

Another question relates to the capacity of the 2" inch receiver on my F650? It is a large heavy duty hitch beam type. The 2 inch reciever itself is part of the overall I beam hitch plate and everything is welded directly to the flatbed large I-beam frame. Am I correct in assuming that I am find with pulling 18,000 lbs with this 2 inch receiver which I believe is at least class V or better?

/ Ball hitch #14  
Thanks for the information on the sleeve on the axles which makes sense.

Another question relates to the capacity of the 2" inch receiver on my F650? It is a large heavy duty hitch beam type. The 2 inch reciever itself is part of the overall I beam hitch plate and everything is welded directly to the flatbed large I-beam frame. Am I correct in assuming that I am find with pulling 18,000 lbs with this 2 inch receiver which I believe is at least class V or better?

Not sure on that one. Usually the biggest issue with 2" stuff is the limit on the ball mount. I have never seen one better than 12,000#, maybe 15,000# but not more than that. In comparison I have 2.5" hitches on both my Superdutys and they weakest part is 15,000# with many of the components at 25,000#.

I would take it to a real hitch shop, not Uhaul, and ask them what they think.

Chris

/ Ball hitch #15  
Reese has a line of forged ball mounts with the 2" rated at 16,000 the 2.5" rated at 18,000 and there is now a 3" receiver size (Super Titan) rated at 25,000 :eek:

/ Ball hitch
Thanks for the insight. I did notice that Northern Tool here offers a 2" Buyers forged ballmount rated at 20,000 lbs. I also noticed a number of pintle shanks online that fit into 2" receivers rated at 20,000 as well. I agree need to be sure on what my receiver on my F650 can pull but the setup is very similar to what you see on the back of large dump trucks with everything welded to the frame. It is too bad they didn't put a 2.5 " receiver on it but that seems it would easy to do if I go that route.

/ Ball hitch
I took the truck to a large industrical trailer manufacturer and welding shop. They confirmed that my hitch is a custom design that is typically done to commerical trucks to add capacity. They typically weld a large plate to the frame and then add a receiver and pintle hookup. They felt strongly that the large cross member beam was even strongly than the plate and would would be more than enough to handle 20,000 lbs. I will go ahead and get the 20,000 forged ball mount.

/ Ball hitch #18  
I took the truck to a large industrical trailer manufacturer and welding shop. They confirmed that my hitch is a custom design that is typically done to commerical trucks to add capacity. They typically weld a large plate to the frame and then add a receiver and pintle hookup. They felt strongly that the large cross member beam was even strongly than the plate and would would be more than enough to handle 20,000 lbs. I will go ahead and get the 20,000 forged ball mount.

Good news. Happy trucking.

Chris