ball park pattern

/ ball park pattern #1  

sam5570

Veteran Member
Tractor
new holland tn70
I read back thru 01 threads and didn't see anything on how to adjust my deck to get the ball park look on my lawn. whats the trick I have my deck set level now do I need to lower the back or front?

/ ball park pattern #2  
We set ours 1/4" lower in the front. What you want to do is called striping. There are various ways to accomplish that including a full width roller on the back, dragging a chain behind you, etc.

Aaron Z

/ ball park pattern #3  
Same direction every mow, stay on your lines..... it's all about getting the grass to lay down.

My lawn...

/ ball park pattern #4  
If you have the time and the fuel, you can get the full checkerboard look by going back across at an angle. The private, not for profit I work for used to do the rec for our county. I logged a lot of hours on the ball fields back then. Before that I did grass at a small nine hole golf course in Jackson County Fl.
Go ahead and try different ways of cutting. The good thing about working with grass, no matter how bad you mess it up, next week you get to do it all over again.

/ ball park pattern
thank's for the reply's i'm gonna lower my deck 1/4 inch in the front and see what happens. I always mow in the same direction don't have much choise the my lawn is.

/ ball park pattern #7  
What kind of mower?? RFM? MMM? ZTR?? How many blades??

I wouldnt lower the front. If 3 blade, the middle is usually offset forward, that will make that blade cut lower than the outsides.

Keep it level. You need a stripping kit. As others mentioned, usually just a full width roller, or a rubber flap on the back of the deck. Just something to make all the grass lay down in the direction of travel.

But also....you have to mow straight, and be good at it. Otherwise, if you arent good, it shows up big time.

/ ball park pattern
What kind of mower?? RFM? MMM? ZTR?? How many blades??

I wouldnt lower the front. If 3 blade, the middle is usually offset forward, that will make that blade cut lower than the outsides.

Keep it level. You need a stripping kit. As others mentioned, usually just a full width roller, or a rubber flap on the back of the deck. Just something to make all the grass lay down in the direction of travel.

But also....you have to mow straight, and be good at it. Otherwise, if you arent good, it shows up big time.
thank's I do have a 3 blade system so I set it level. I knew about the striping kit's but thought there might be a way around it. the grass is so green and pretty now it's had so much rain I just thought I would like to try it, when I use my sweeper it gives it that look but don't use it every time.

/ ball park pattern #9