Ballast - Any merit in this idea?

/ Ballast - Any merit in this idea?
f your after-market loader lifts say 1800-2200lbs then make the ballast 1200-1300lbs (assuming your tires are loaded) and don't worry about your front end getting too light... It won't happen.

Thanks, Luke.

If I am reading this correctly, you are advocating that the ballast should be around 60% of the loader capacity. Is that a good rule of thumb for ballast weight, with the CoG close to the 3ph? Of course, the lever arm effect will mean that the actual weight of the ballast will depend on its distance from the tractor, but that is a simple maths calculation.

Ken

/ Ballast - Any merit in this idea? #12  
Thanks, Luke.

If I am reading this correctly, you are advocating that the ballast should be around 60% of the loader capacity. Is that a good rule of thumb for ballast weight, with the CoG close to the 3ph? Of course, the lever arm effect will mean that the actual weight of the ballast will depend on its distance from the tractor, but that is a simple maths calculation.

Ken

No. My tractor is nearly identical to yours. If your loader is similar, then I can suggest with experience how much "up close" 3pt ballast is needed (assuming your rear tires are loaded).

My tractor is nearly identical to yours. If your loader is similar, then I can suggest with experience how much "up close" 3pt ballast is needed (assuming your rear tires are loaded).

The tyres are loaded.

The loader specs are:
Lift capacity at pivot pin - Ground level 1490kg
Lift capacity at pivot pin - Maximum lift height 1242kg
Lift capacity at 800mm from pivot pin - Ground level 1350kg
Lift capacity at 800mm from pivot pin - 1.5m lift height 1306kg
Lift capacity at 800mm from pivot pin - Maximum lift height 900kg

There is a big difference between 900 and 1490. Which figure is the lift capacity I should be looking at? As you might have gathered by now, I am a tractor newbie :)

/ Ballast - Any merit in this idea? #14  
Everyone talks about the side shift flail mower,, using a hydraulic cylinder to move the flail mower to the side,,

Why not use a similar thing to make a "rear shift" weight,, use the cylinder to position the weight further to the rear.
If less counter weight is needed, simply move the weight closer to the rear axle.

Big cranes do this, they move the counterweight out away from the crane when making a heavy lift.

If you have auxiliary hydraulics, this would be an easy fabrication.

/ Ballast - Any merit in this idea? #15  
I'm talking about the biggest number. Are you sure those numbers are for your tractor's hydraulic relief pressures and not just the max the aftermarket loader will produce?

The reason I ask is that's like 3,200 lbs which is a heck of a lot of weight for an MX tractor.

I'm talking about the biggest number. Are you sure those numbers are for your tractor's hydraulic relief pressures and not just the max the aftermarket loader will produce?

The reason I ask is that's like 3,200 lbs which is a heck of a lot of weight for an MX tractor.

I am not sure about anything other than how little I know about tractors :)

The numbers were for the loader.

The tractor manual says, on page 6, under the list of "Implement Limitations" ....

Front-end Loader
Max lifting capacity: kg (lbs.) - 850 (1870)
Max. oil pressure: MPa (psi) - 17.2 (2490)
Sub frame Necessary

I don't know how to accurately interpret these numbers. However, if I am interpreting them correctly, it would seem that the largest load the tractor can lift is 850kg even though the loader can handle 1,490kg. Is that correct?

If 850kg is all that the tractor can handle, and one then adds the weight of a bucket or forks, the actual payload drops significantly. I think my bucket weighs 235 kg and the forks weigh 195kg. Subtracting those numbers from the 850kg rating, means that the tractor can lift only 615kg in the bucket and a maximum of 655kg on the forks. That seems rather low, to me. The rep told me that it should be able to lift 1,000kg payload, but that it is not something one would want to do every day.

Thanks
Ken

/ Ballast - Any merit in this idea? #17  
There’s a big difference in full height lift capacity and lift just a little bit lift capacity. The breakout strength at 24” is a lot more accurate as to what it can lift at ground level.

There’s a big difference in full height lift capacity and lift just a little bit lift capacity. The breakout strength at 24” is a lot more accurate as to what it can lift at ground level.

That makes sense. Now, the question with regard to my MX5100 and Challenge 2821 loader is, what is the maximum capacity of the combination? It seems to me that the loader can handle a lot more than the tractor, so the tractor becomes the limiting factor.

/ Ballast - Any merit in this idea? #19  
That makes sense. Now, the question with regard to my MX5100 and Challenge 2821 loader is, what is the maximum capacity of the combination? It seems to me that the loader can handle a lot more than the tractor, so the tractor becomes the limiting factor.

That's the conclusion I would make.

However, keep in mind that Kubota is incredibly conservative with their directives. In reality you can lift more than that safely. How much more is a matter of debate.

My tractor is nearly identical to yours. If your loader is similar, then I can suggest with experience how much "up close" 3pt ballast is needed (assuming your rear tires are loaded).

We seem to have come to the conclusion that the tractor, not the loader is the limiting factor in my set-up. Your tractor is nearly identical to mine so, how much does your ballast weigh and how far is its CoG from the pivot points on the 3ph arms?

Thanks
Ken