Ballast Ballast Box Filler?

/ Ballast Box Filler? #1  

tarscraper

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800 4x4 HST and Kubota 900RTV
Yeah Yeah I know I wasted my money buying the kubota ballast box when a 55 gallon metal drum cut in half would have done the job but.....Its done.

What is the best material to fill the ballast box with?

My friend just filled his with stones. There is quite a bit of wasted space in there.

Ideas?

thanks.

/ Ballast Box Filler? #2  
concrete, easy, cheap, heavy

/ Ballast Box Filler? #3  
I use Playground sand in the bag, easy to remove if You want to use the box for other things.

Maybe $20.00 for 300 lbs. of it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Ballast Box Filler? #4  
I used sand only because I had some, but I bet Bob Skurka's suggestion is best...concrete. There is a small hole on the bottom of the Kubota Ballast box which, suprisingly, hasn't permitted my sand to slowly seep out like the days of our lives....go figure. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Ballast Box Filler? #5  
I filled mine with 50 pound sand bags that I bought at Home Depot. I don't remember the exact cost but I think they were a couple of dollars for each bag.

John

/ Ballast Box Filler? #6  
lead ingots from the plumbing supply house.
costs more, but you can add alot more weight than sand.

/ Ballast Box Filler? #7  
I put mine on the tractor, loaded tractor on my trailer, then drove to the local rental yard that also does pre-mixed concrete. I backed up to the chute, and they filled it up! Cost about $35.00 2 years ago.

The people who saw me at the yard thought I was crazy, but it sure beats mixing all those bags!

/ Ballast Box Filler? #8  
As Bob stated filling your box with concrete will give you the most weight. I filled mine and left about 4" to at top to put my hitch parts. Here is a link to a picture of my box. Click Here
I purchased five 80 lbs bags of ready mix from Home Depot for my box.

/ Ballast Box Filler?
Excellent..thanks! My friend is pouring a slab for a barn soon. I think I will "borrow" a little concrete.