Ballast Box questions

/ Ballast Box questions #1  

ctgoldwing

Platinum Member
Tractor
L3800HST
Assuming winter ends sometime, I have a lot of cleaning up in the woods to do with my FEL & toothbar. Even I can see nothing good is going to happen with my box blade or back blade hanging off the 3pt as ballast amongst the trees. With my last tractor I used the backhoe and had enough issues to know its time to change. So...
Because I will be trying to lift & move downed trees, I'm thinking something on the order of 600-800 lbs for ballast (I am using an L3800HST). In my searching I've seem boxes that have integrated tool holders for things like rakes, chainsaws, etc. I like that idea - at least it sounds good to me.
Does anyone have experience carrying things there (good or bad) and which box would you recommend? I will probably fill with concrete.

/ Ballast Box questions #3  
I got a Titan ballast box from Ballast Box Tractor Attachments - Ballast Boxes For Sale (Free Shipping) Titan Attachments™. It has a couple of tubes for carrying a shovel, rake, or whatever. It was relatively inexpensive and seems well built and of good quality. They come in a couple of colors but orange isn't one of them.

Ditto on the Titan but you are getting what you pay for I think. It works..... the top link attachment on mine was welded crooked - still works but a little annoying. Filled mine with steel scrap from local demolition project. I carry a broom and shovel during the winter in the tool holders.

IMG_3604.jpg

/ Ballast Box questions #4  
About 2x2x1 ft, weighs in about 600 pounds (cat 1 hitch) ..... NO problem at all with tubular tool holder only wish is I made better arrangement to attach milk crate for holding small misc. items (like chains and ropes and "stuff").... Only cost involved was cross draw bar and about 3 bags of sackcrete... All other materials were scrounged....

Also later added an angle iron low down on rear so I can add trailer ball or tow ring for what ever you need trail ball and tow ring for.... Some day I might do better picture spread....

Spray can caps keep leaves and crap out of tubes...

Ballast box.jpg

Dale

/ Ballast Box questions
Very nice DL :)
How is the cross bar attached? Did u make some sort of rebar frame inside & weld to it? I look at you lifting hook and can't help but think a 'tree' right next to it about 2-3' tall with some kind of fasteners would answer all I (think) I need. I'd be able to hang stuff like chains or even a chainsaw.
I actually have been thinking about doing this but the last couple of Cat 1 cross bars I looked into had not so great reviews (tho they did have 2x2 receptacles). One said the frame wasn't that strong and another complained that the pins were undersized and weak. . . Which one did u end up with?

/ Ballast Box questions
Roadworthy & Pokey1416 I did look at the Titan - color not withstanding. Black is ok :)
I did like the 'forkability' in picking them up.

/ Ballast Box questions #7  
18BF8165-C05E-44B8-B384-986DBE813918.jpeg

Here is a pic of mine, it was about the cheapest I could find on Amazon. It has a couple of round pockets in the corner in two places to hold rake or shovel handles. The only problem is if my ROPS is halfway folded the rake or shovel will hit it.

/ Ballast Box questions #8  
Bought titan box off amazon, top link too high and further behind bottom pins. Top link needed lowered and moved forward. After modding mine saw on titan website a 3pt box and QH compatible box for same$
20200304_130024.jpg 20200304_130040.jpg

/ Ballast Box questions #9  
Very nice DL :)
How is the cross bar attached? Did u make some sort of rebar frame inside & weld to it? I look at you lifting hook and can't help but think a 'tree' right next to it about 2-3' tall with some kind of fasteners would answer all I (think) I need. I'd be able to hang stuff like chains or even a chainsaw.
I actually have been thinking about doing this but the last couple of Cat 1 cross bars I looked into had not so great reviews (tho they did have 2x2 receptacles). One said the frame wasn't that strong and another complained that the pins were undersized and weak. . . Which one did u end up with?

Cross bar is attached by using a section of 1 inch steel tube going through box and use 3/4 inch threaded rod (all thread).... It was done this way to have the option of doing something different in future also not shone is angle iron attached to back of box with about half dozed holes for various ball hitch and shackles....... The rebar loop in attached internally to the tubes that go through the box so it remains in place even if concrete fails, I chose to put it in to have a lifting point in case it ever needed to be moved (not hooked to 3PH) or if it fell over and I needed to rights it...

Cat I bar is generic $39.99 TSC bar... Didn't give much though to how stout it is... If it bends, I will just bend it back...

Dale

/ Ballast Box questions
Thanks everyone. I guess it isn't rocket science. I'll just pick up an off the self unit and mod it the way I want. Have a great weekend!