Ballast Box w/ Storage

/ Ballast Box w/ Storage #1  

RubiconTJ

Tractor
Case Farmall 31
I just finished this ballast box for my Case IH Farmall 31 last week. I included some covered storage for chains, tools, etc., and some pockets for shovels, axes, rakes, and whatever.

I built it from scrap metal (1/4" x 8" channel) that had been used for forktruck guardrail in a factory. I added some plate for the bottom and the front partition between the shovel pockets and the ballast area. It is filled with 3" of concrete at the bottom, then sand and rocks, then 3" of concrete, 6" down from the top so I have room left for tool/chain storage. I sealed the inside of the storage compartment with bedliner, and made a lid from .0675" sheet steel.

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

Had quite a bit of fun building it, and it makes a huge difference for FEL work!

/ Ballast Box w/ Storage #2  
Aw now you have went too far!.. That has got to be the slickest and best looking ballast box I have ever seen. The covered storage is a great idea, on mine I have to remember to take everything out if I leave it out in the rain. Excellent design.:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ Ballast Box w/ Storage #3  
Beautiful!!

I like the covered storage area, but why the sand and stone sandwiched between the concrete?

JB

/ Ballast Box w/ Storage
Thanks k0ua.

I did quite a bit of reading on this and other forums to get ideas before I started. The steel channel worked really well, and all the steel was free scrap that my dad had laying around. I only had to pay for the pins and the concrete/sand fill material, so I ended up saving a few hundred over just buying one.

/ Ballast Box w/ Storage
why the sand and stone sandwiched between the concrete?

JB

I just wanted to have the option to adjust the weight later. I wasn't sure if going with concrete for the whole thing would be too heavy, and I had plenty of free rocks laying around, so I used them - I used the sand to fill the gaps so the ballast wouldn't ever shift in the box.

/ Ballast Box w/ Storage #6  
I just wanted to have the option to adjust the weight later. I wasn't sure if going with concrete for the whole thing would be too heavy, and I had plenty of free rocks laying around, so I used them - I used the sand to fill the gaps so the ballast wouldn't ever shift in the box.

Well you probably got almost the same weight as using just concrete. You wont ever need the box lighter, if your experience is anything like mine.

JB.

/ Ballast Box w/ Storage #7  
That is very impressive, nice job. I like the slots on the bottom so it to be moved with a set of forks.

/ Ballast Box w/ Storage
Well you probably got almost the same weight as using just concrete. You wont ever need the box lighter, if your experience is anything like mine.

JB.

JB, if heavier is better I hope I'm still on the right track, since the box itself is made from heavier material.

The steel channel weighs 10 Lbs per foot, so the box alone is somewhere between 275 and 300 Lbs. Then two 80 Lb bags of concrete mix, and four and a half 45 Lb bags of sand, plus maybe 50 lbs. of rocks puts the total somewhere between 685 and 710 Lbs.

In the end I hope this will be enough.
So far so good.

/ Ballast Box w/ Storage
Thanks, General.