Ballast -- can you overdo it?

/ Ballast -- can you overdo it? #11  
havin the loader helps.. if you need more weight.. just pick up a rock or something..etc..

/ Ballast -- can you overdo it? #12  
Thanks Roy, going low budget here. Will try looking around for alternatives. Probably going to end up with some sort of concrete in buckets with a way to hang them.

/ Ballast -- can you overdo it? #13  
just set em in the loader bucket..

/ Ballast -- can you overdo it? #15  
ahh.. I see.. it was another poster that got in on the action at post 9.. not the OP with the loader.

to the guy with no laoder.. if the front has a bumper.. or a tapped boss in the front bolster for a bumper.. use those attach points.

soe botls and angle iron will make good hangers.. from there.. cast some cement weights.

I made front bumper weights for my old ford 4600 using an old deep metal farm animal feed pan, formed in some pieces using styrofoam as a mould, and some 5/8 bolts, and heavy gauge rod / wire as a stiffener.

some black paint and they look like cast iron weights.. but only cost about 3$ each....

Attachments

• a38136.jpg
    a38136.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 203
  • a38356.jpg
    a38356.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 197
  • a38357.jpg
    a38357.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 186
  • a38358.jpg
    a38358.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 229
  • a38359.jpg
    a38359.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 220
   / Ballast -- can you overdo it? #16  
The non-loader Kubota's are supposed to have a front bumper that doubles as a hanger for suitcase weights.

Does the poster without the loader not have that on his machine?

/ Ballast -- can you overdo it? #17  
I have 4-85 lb. suitcase weights hanging on my front end. Even with a 800 lb.6ft. blower, or a 500 lb tiller on the rear I've never seen the front end come off the ground. I take them off during mowing season as it helps keep the front tires from tearing up the turf on hard turns. Never knew 85 lbs. could weigh so much.

/ Ballast -- can you overdo it? #18  
I got the hanger. The tractor used to have weights but the guy we got it from left them at a piece of property he used to own and lost with the economy down turn a couple years ago. We don't think the new owners are using them or are aware what they are for. We are digging up their number to see if they would just let us come get them or purchase at a reasonable price.

/ Ballast -- can you overdo it? #19  
I just got to wondering about it because at one point I was going uphill (probably 30 degree incline) and thought "huh, I wonder if this thing could tip over backwards?"

Well, if it does, it won't go very far with that big mower stuck out behind it.

Put a boulder in your FEL bucket if you feel the front end is too light.

JayC