ballast

/ ballast #1  

chase729

Tractor
Kioti CK 27
purchased ck 27 in 2010. Tires now at least 13 years old. never had liquid ballast. Never had leaks or flats. could there be problems filling with Rim Guard?

/ ballast #2  
One thing about this farm and that is NO LIQUID BALLAST in any tires and rarely anything hanging out the back in the 3PH to get in they way either. I run cast centers and additional add on weights that bolt to the cast centers when I need it. remember if and when you buy new tires. if you keep it that long however, there will be an additional charge for evacuating whatever you fill them with (could be beet juice or windshield washer fluid or CALCL) but whatever it is, your tire man will charge you for sucking it out and then replacing it.

/ ballast #3  
If you need the extra weight then adding ballast will help. I'll agree that I prefer bolt on weight over liquid ballast. Iron cost more initially, liquid weight costs more in maintenance.

/ ballast #5  
One thing about this farm and that is NO LIQUID BALLAST in any tires and rarely anything hanging out the back in the 3PH to get in they way either. I run cast centers and additional add on weights that bolt to the cast centers when I need it. remember if and when you buy new tires. if you keep it that long however, there will be an additional charge for evacuating whatever you fill them with (could be beet juice or windshield washer fluid or CALCL) but whatever it is, your tire man will charge you for sucking it out and then replacing it.
You keep touting no ballast to new people or people with smaller machines which is quite hazardous. Your big M series machines are much more stable than 40hp & lower machines.

My L3200 (2,500lbs no loader or ballast) was very dangerous without ballast. A 150lbs gate on the forks with no ballast or impliment was enough to have an incident. My newish L4060 is only 8hp more, but about double the weight. Way more stable, but still needs ballast.

I agree iron is better than liquid longterm for wheel ballast. I've never had an issue with liquid personally. A plug in the rear R4 on my L3200 worked for years on the one puncture I got. But if I ever get a new machine I'll likely get iron instead of liquid to prevent extra issues if I get another flat.

• Good Post
Reactions: J&K
   / ballast #6  
I've been out here for 40+ years and had two tractors. A Ford 1700 4WD for 27 years and my Kubota for 14 years. Both had/have R-1 tires and rims. Both had/have the rears set out at their widest stance. I had salt water in the Ford and have Rim Guard in the Kubota. I have 1550 pounds of Rim Guard in the Kubota rear tires.

Fourteen years with Rim Guard and not even a hint of a problem. Also - I always have something heavy on the 3-point and my 800# grapple on the FEL. About 95% of the time its my HD Rhino rear blade on the 3-point.

I can appreciate 5030 's position on ballast. However - it's just a tad difficult to add 1500+ pounds of iron to any tractor rear tires.

I think I like liquid ballast because I've NEVER had to deal with a flat tire out here.

/ ballast #7  
In as much as my cast centers weigh 650 pounds each and the add on bolt on weights each weigh 300 pounds a section, I can have plenty of weight if I need it. I don't, Far as juice in the tires go, I do a lot of pavement driving at road speed and the friction of it inside the tires will increase fuel used due to that inherent friction and candidly, I never had any tires loaded on any of my previous Kubota's either and that includes my first B7100. To date, I've owned 10 Kubby's plus the 2 I have now.

I look at tire ballast as just a way to increase the 'pucker' factor and nothing more Operate you FEL within it's limits. If Kubota wanted you to exceed it, they would offer cast centers standard, not an option and / or would load them from the factory. They don't do either.