Bare concrete floors inside the house

/ Bare concrete floors inside the house #51  
Why would the hardness of this floor be any different than a conventional ceramic tile over concrete?

/ Bare concrete floors inside the house
jyoutz,

It wouldn't. I just threw in the comparison of concrete and ceramic tile as kind of an aside. Since ceramic floors are common in houses and there is little, if any, difference in the properties of a ceramic tile floor and a concrete floor (energy efficiency, hardness, etc.) logic dictates that I go with concrete floors if I can save money.

/ Bare concrete floors inside the house #53  
Been there, done that.... Cat vomit has that cool wet -between-the-toes texture... great at 2 am on the way to the kitchen... Immediatly wakes you up.

I used to be a bit more sqeamish about that kind of stuff, but now that I do the hobby farm thing... not much bothers me. We've got turkeys, pig, cows, horses, dog, cats, fish, countless types of indoor domestic birds, a gecko, a turtle for educational purposes ( wifes a teacher ), um.. hermit crabs, etc. etc. sure I left something out...

I've touched, reached into, scraped, cleaned cut, & bandaged just about every type of wound an animal can come up with. I've done the 'on the phone with the vet at 2 am getting emergency equine information while the horse is bleeding and the wife is frantic'..
Like I say.. I used to be squeamish.. but now very little bothers me.

Soundguy

<font color=blue>Its a benefit until you fail to see what you are about to step
into!

/ Bare concrete floors inside the house #54  
One of the players in this field is: L. M. SCOFIELD COMPANY

Their web site is: www.scofield.com
Their phone is: 800-800-9900

They gave a very impressive presentation a few weeks ago.

Check them out!

Yooper Dave

/ Bare concrete floors inside the house #55  
Is the roof deck post tensioned concrete? A fellow I worked with had a son in the business and that's what they used. That's about 12 years back though.

/ Bare concrete floors inside the house #56  
Gary, This one has dome shaped roofs cast in place monolithic with the walls. There are 3 rebar layers concentric, radial and grid in the roof. Wally

/ Bare concrete floors inside the house #57  
Wally, I like the picture of your house. I'm going to go earth bermed for 40% and cordwood with stone walls on 60%.

Author Malcolm Wells another underground house man advocates a slab floor. The concrete is not finished totally smooth.

After all construction is done, he mixes water with glue as a sealer filler. When this is dry he finishes with a min-wax stain. He claims this holds up to commercial traffic.

I've been planning on trying this on a small part of the dog kennel as a test.

/ Bare concrete floors inside the house #58  
Boone, I have one of Malcom Well's books. Two of my neighbors have berm homes. You will like the quiet inside.
Wally

/ Bare concrete floors inside the house #59  
Bill W-I couldn't get your attachment to come up. We have just finished a barn with concrete floor for a workshop and garage. The flatwork was fantastic and the surface is just about perfect. Keeping in mind that it will be used for some fairly rough projects, my wife and I want to stain and seal (or perhaps just seal the floor with a dark sealer). Can you suggest a company or brand of product for this purpose. Our place is in Quitman, Texas and we live in the DFW area. Thanks

/ Bare concrete floors inside the house #60  
Sherwin Williams makes somthing called H&C Concrete Stain that works very well I'm told. They make an additive called Shark Grip that adds some non slip grip so it won't be an ice rink. The friend that recommended it works on autos and he said it cleaned up very well. If I ever find a 'round tuit, I'm going to try some.