Bargain Clinometer (Tilt meter)

/ Bargain Clinometer (Tilt meter) #1  

patrickg

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L4610HSTC
With risk of seeming to be a disloyal cur and advance apologies to the "Tilt-O-Meter" man, I want to report an ad for a dual clinometer (actual name of tilt meter) in a Sportsman's Guide catalog for $21.97. It measures 6" X 4" X 2 1/2" and is illuminated for night use. I don't know if this product is on their web site at http://www.sportsmansguide.com

The graphics on the panel are a side view and a rear view of a pickup truck with one labelled rolling and the other pitching. Their scales read to +/- 35 degrees in both axes. It is pictured with a simple but adjustable "U" bracket mount.

Patrick

/ Bargain Clinometer (Tilt meter) #2  
Hi Patrick,
No offence taken. I carry the same meter. However, I buy
it dis-assembled, then check the gram weight of the balance
weights. About 1 out of every 5-6 are too light. I then replace
the weight if needed, then calibrate, then seal for weather.
I do not recommend to my customers that they use it for
tractors. (if they tell me that is it's intended use.) Too small
numbers to see easily. Too close a scale to be accurate.
Not designed for that kind of abuse. It does have some good
applications. Tractors is not among them. We also put new
graphics on the dials. I offer tractors as a graphic, but
I always try to steer the customer to a better meter, designed
for tractors. I once bought some "bargain" tires for an old
55 Ford I souped up and ran at the drag strip. Worked good
for two or three runs. Then, my bargain right rear tire blew at
about 80 and I hit the guard rail. Repairs cost much more
than the "bargain" tires. I still look for bargains. But not when
it concerns my safety, or my families safety. Rick

/ Bargain Clinometer (Tilt meter)
Rick,
I know what you mean. I sure wouldn't substitute one of those dual clinometers for an artificial horizon in anything I was flying. Given the number of times I've had my tractor on two wheels, you'd think I was a candidate for a clinometer. In each case though, having a clinometer wouldn't help as the situation arose rather suddenly. I have had it standing on the two front tires and the FEL which wasn't scarry due to stabalizing effect of FEL, at least till the suction of the mud the FEL was "suction cupped" to broke then I had to lower the FEL pronto to maintain stability. I have had it on one front and the opposite rear tire and only had to use the diff lock and gentle forward power to proceed calmly. I've had it on two wheels on the same side and only the 6ft brush hog kept me upright, had to use FEL to lift it a bit to place debris under a wheel. And on and on but so far haven't ever had it on just the back two wheels and don't want the experience.

Working on slopes makes me nervous so I mostly avoid it especially where I am not nose up or nose down on the slope. Sideways on a slope has a high personal pucker factor for me. I'm sure I don't get close to the limit, having a clinometer might or might not get me to work sideways on a slope with a degree of comfort.

One of these days when I get caught up a bit I need to determine the CG of my Kubota with a full tank and me on board and do the math to determine the largest safe (static) bank angle and pitch angles (nose up and nose down). It would be great if tractor manufacturers would supply such info since that would make clinometers more useful but I guess they are afraid it would somehow be a liability orf igure into a lawsuit.

Parting question: What do you think of the OEM cliinometers in some SUV's?

Patrick

/ Bargain Clinometer (Tilt meter) #4  
Hi Patrick,
I have one on my pickup. I like to glance at it occasionally
when bouncing through the woods hunting. Most of the time
I'm going too fast to watch the meter, or to react. I have one
on my camper also. Don't use it much. But I use the one on
my tractor alot. At first, I always looked at it. Now, it has
helped give me a reference. I still find that I'm wrong
sometimes at guessing a slope. Mainly optical illusions.
Tall grass, trees growing at an angle, etc. A meter is of
course not for everyone. But boy when you need one, it is
great to have. Don't look at my speedometer as much as I
should either. But when certain conditions exist, I look.
Rick