Bargain Harbor Freight barrel pump.....

/ Bargain Harbor Freight barrel pump..... #1  

Scott in IN

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
Long story short, the threads on the HF barrel pump outlet are some sort of funky fine metric thread instead of the coarse 3/4" pipe thread that seems to be standard with pumps / hoses making it just about impossible to stick a fuel hose on it. Barrel Pump

Any thoughts / suggestions?

/ Bargain Harbor Freight barrel pump..... #2  
any reason why you can't:

1, hose clamp a hose to that spout end

2, cut and past a hose barb to the threaded section of that spout end

soundguy

/ Bargain Harbor Freight barrel pump.....
any reason why you can't:

1, hose clamp a hose to that spout end

2, cut and past a hose barb to the threaded section of that spout end

soundguy

Well, the only fuel rated hoses I could find were 3/4" and 1" spring lined with threaded ends crimped on them. I don't think that cutting off the threaded end and clamping it on the HF outlet would work due to the spring / thickness of the hose.

Conversely, there were plenty of other 'utility' type black hoses available but they weren't rated for fuel (just chemicals). I guess I could get someone to weld / make an adapter to the end of the spout. But by the time I do all of that I'd probably be better off just getting another pump with standard threads and using this one as a backup.

/ Bargain Harbor Freight barrel pump..... #4  
Welcome to the Global Economy. What was the reason you didn't buy a U.S. made product ? Just wait until we have to buy rifles, ammunition, missiles, aircraft and submarines from them...

/ Bargain Harbor Freight barrel pump..... #6  
i stuck a regular cheap garden hose or maybe some radiator hose INTO the opening and it fit tight and works fine if you are not too picky...

mike

/ Bargain Harbor Freight barrel pump.....
For $20 I figured I couldn't go wrong, regardless of where it was made.

On the hose, I really don't want to use a garden and/or non fuel rated hose as I'm not real excited about getting little chunks (microscopic) of degraded rubber or whatever stuck in my expensive tractor fuel system.

As for the adapters, I'm guessing by the time I pay shipping and buy the part I'd have as much into it as a regularly threaded one.

Live and learn...

/ Bargain Harbor Freight barrel pump..... #8  
You can take the pipe out of the top and tap with 3/4 pipe tap the size of the hole is just the right size .I did this and it worked great and then just buy one of those hoses that are made up and your on your way.

/ Bargain Harbor Freight barrel pump..... #9  
if you owned a soldering setup or could weld or braze this would be a 5 minute fix. even a propane torch and plumbers solder would work.

as for the fuel hosewith crimped ends.. any reason why you couldn't use a couple bucks of grey iron fittings and adapt over to a hose barb or copper and compression fittings.. or solder on fittings.

lotsa ways to do this vs giving up. including npt to metric adapters.

soundguy

Well, the only fuel rated hoses I could find were 3/4" and 1" spring lined with threaded ends crimped on them. I don't think that cutting off the threaded end and clamping it on the HF outlet would work due to the spring / thickness of the hose.

Conversely, there were plenty of other 'utility' type black hoses available but they weren't rated for fuel (just chemicals). I guess I could get someone to weld / make an adapter to the end of the spout. But by the time I do all of that I'd probably be better off just getting another pump with standard threads and using this one as a backup.

/ Bargain Harbor Freight barrel pump..... #10  
Just wait until we have to buy rifles, ammunition, missiles, aircraft and submarines from them...

That is NOT funny. :(

Aint no way I'm climbing into one of their subs either...