Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure?

/ Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure?
Re: Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structur

The green telehandlers look like this: Green Telehandler You see them at most construction sites, also called rough terrain forklift with lots of reach.

/ Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure? #22  

Ahhh!! Yes!! That would do it. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
My 30'x40' only has 3 main beams, one each end and one in the middle. Took maybe an hour to put up all 3. That would be a pretty expensive piece of equipment to rent. But you darn sure can't put them up by hand. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure? #23  

But you darn sure can't put them up by hand.

The amish do it all the time. It is something to see them put up a barn.

/ Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure? #24  

Have you looked at steelbuildings.com?

Their web page is extensive with sizes, options, and price information.

http://www.steelbuilding.com/

I already ordered their video, specifications, and sample erection drawings for review.

Yooper Dave

/ Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure? #25  

Since you are in Michigan, you might want to try Future Steel Buildings, they are over the northern border. They will not say so until you put down the money, but they are the Canadian arm of a US company that is a big name in steel buildings. I got the best deal from them with the exchange rate where is has been for awhile. They were very responsive, professional etc. Good luck either way.

/ Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure? #26  
I looked at everything, but since cost was a big factor, I went with a pole barn, then poured a concrete slab inside of it after the barn was built. My preference was an all-steel (pre-engineered) building, but there was too much of a cost difference in the slab, at least in our area. As far as interior spans, my barn is 40x50 with no interior posts - all clear span trusses.
The slab for the pre-engineered building supports the building, while the one for the barn is not load bearing - this is what impacted the cost. The pre-engineered building will require piers at the columns plus a perimeter beam and the slab itself. The pole barn slab is poured using the lower 2x6 of the barn framing as a form. I added a perimeter beam all around though since mine was on an 8" fill pad.
I still made the slab in mine a 6" thickness with #4 bars - plenty stout.

There are lot of different advantages of steel buildings vs wood or pole.
But when building something that will (a) cost you to construct, (b) cost you to maintain and (c) needs to serve you for an extended period of time – decades perhaps – then we need to be a little more practical – hard-headed perhaps – about our choices.

And when it comes to barns and similar agricultural buildings, steel buildings are increasingly the number one choice. And it’s not because there’s something inherently wrong with wood. It’s more because there are some irresistible advantages with steel.

/ Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure? #27  
I went with a pole barn. 30x50x12 with 10' doors. Finished interior and fully insulated. $30k

Attachments

• Barn22.JPG
    Barn22.JPG
    647.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Barn35.JPG
    Barn35.JPG
    542.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Barn37.JPG
    Barn37.JPG
    677 KB · Views: 109
   / Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure? #28  
When deciding between wood/pole and steel structures for barn construction, several factors come into play, and the choice largely depends on your specific needs and preferences. Here are some considerations to help you make an informed decision:

It really depends on your priorities and budget. Here are some quick considerations:

1. Cost:
    • Wood/pole structures are usually more budget-friendly initially.
    • Steel structures might cost more upfront but could save on maintenance in the long run.
  2. Durability:
    • Steel structures are known for being robust and resistant to weather and pests.
    • Wood/pole structures can be durable but might need more upkeep.
  3. Construction Time:
    • Wood/pole barns are typically quicker to build.
    • Steel structures may take a bit longer.