barn finally got concrete

/ barn finally got concrete #1  

buckeyefarmer

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4 BX23
On june 8, 2006 I took delivery of a pole barn package. Today, 4 yrs to the day, I finally got concrete poured. I didn't realize the same date until I was looking at the old pictures.
Tomorrow they will cut control joints, and I will apply cure and sealer.
Once you fill a barn with stuff, it's hard to remove everything to pour concrete.

Attachments

• 2delivery.jpg
    2delivery.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 373
  • 10concrete.jpg
    10concrete.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 484
  • 11concrete.jpg
    11concrete.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 417
   / barn finally got concrete #3  
You will love the floor. Emptying the barn will never be easy, but moving implements around on dollies is a dream.

I'm going to retire soon and plan to reorganize my garage/shop and barn. Having a concrete floor in both gives me lots of storage options. Money well spent.

/ barn finally got concrete #4  
Looks nice. How thick?
Did you have a thread about the origianl barn build. I found some info where you were asking questions, but nothing on the barn itself.

Wedge

/ barn finally got concrete
I don't think I ever ran my own thread on the barn, but have added pictures here and there. The barn was a package I bought and built myself. It is 30x48x12, with a 10x10 door on one end centered, and two doors on the other end, one 10x10 and the other 8hx10. The joints got cut this morning. I'm taking a break from cleaning up the saw mess. I swept as much as I could, now I am hosing and squeegying the water off. I don't want to use pressure washer on the new concrete yet, so am using garden hose.
I did the prep work for the concrete, I leveled gravel 5.5" under the floor level, and put in vapor and the rebar. No electric yet, but I did put in two 2" conduits and a 1 1/2" conduit thru the slab and stubbed out.
I figured on 6" deep of concrete, but he ordered an extra yard, and it was a good thing he did, as I only had enough left over for a 3'x8' pad in front of the mandoor. 3 loads 9.25 yds each. The barn looks small with a concrete truck backed up to it.

Attachments

• powertrowel.jpg
    powertrowel.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 224
  • jointscut.jpg
    jointscut.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 230
  • concretetruck.jpg
    concretetruck.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 257
   / barn finally got concrete #7  
Nice looking floor, I really like the rebar grid with chairs, most of the concrete guys around here want to use wire mesh, you really have to beat them over the head to make them use chairs, but of course they will charge you a pretty penny to do so.

Now get the electrical done so you can get some lights in there, maybe even insulate it and we can find you over on the Garage Journal forum. Next thing you will have a 2 or 4 post hoist in your barn (don't ask me how I know - :thumbsup:).

Enjoy your new space, at least it will seem like a completely different building now.

Derek

/ barn finally got concrete #8  
Once again I find myself experiencing barn envy. Great looking setup! Nice job on the pour and ditto on the chairs. No one does a job as well as the man who will be living with it.

/ barn finally got concrete #9  
Buckeye...What was the company you bought from for a do-it-yourself project? That is probably the way I will go, too.