Barn/Garage Building in Maine Shock

/ Barn/Garage Building in Maine Shock #21  
You may have already signed, but give the Morton Buildings a call. They are steel structures and my dad was very happy with the price of his and I am still impressed with the quality. He had the slab work and the erection done by a local contractor to save some major money. Don't forget to call and check out the building code stuff, It would suck to buy a building that for whatever reason is rejected by the code enforcers :(

Good Luck!

/ Barn/Garage Building in Maine Shock #22  
Kyle241 said:
We are planning a move to our house on the Maine coast and while it does have an attached garage, it's not sized for my Kubota. I had a local contractor who built my attached garage last winter quote me a 32'x40' and a 24'x32' as I would love the former but with other projects to pay for, e.g. new kitchen, etc., I need to watch the budget. Anyways I thought for a 24'x32' with no insulation, no finished interior walls. Well I got my quote yesterday for $61,500???I'm just stunned by the quote right now as I don't see how a stick-framed 24'x32' with attic trusses unfinished inside would ever get to that price as that is something like $84 sq/ft. Any other Mainers on here that have suggestions?

That is very very high. In northerm florida, $84 would be a ~average price for a nice finished house. Perhaps 1.5 times a lower end site build home. What your discribing sounds like $35/ft. I would call several local companies, nut understand if your just "feeling out" prices, most will be hesitant to.give a hard price.

/ Barn/Garage Building in Maine Shock #23  
We are planning a move to our house on the Maine coast and while it does have an attached garage, it's not sized for my Kubota. I had a local contractor who built my attached garage last winter quote me a 32'x40' and a 24'x32' as I would love the former but with other projects to pay for, e.g. new kitchen, etc., I need to watch the budget. Anyways I thought for a 24'x32' with no insulation, no finished interior walls (open to studs) with basic electric and three doors (2 on front 1 in back) and a foundation, I would be looking between $25,000-35,000. Well I got my quote yesterday for $61,500??? The 32'x40' was $101,000!!! Holly moses prices are out of whack in the state of Maine! Now I need to look for alternatives as I need something and really did not want to build it myself due to time constraints but it appears I may have to. We don't have a Menards in the NorthEast as I know many get quotes from them nor do we have the Amish (I wish). I'm just stunned by the quote right now as I don't see how a stick-framed 24'x32' with attic trusses unfinished inside would ever get to that price as that is something like $84 sq/ft. Any other Mainers on here that have suggestions?

whats the outside finish? bricks, stucco???? makes a big difference,

i built my metal sided 30x60 with side leantoos, two 16' x 12' roll up doors and one 16' x 12' split sliding door, and 12 operable dual glazed windows, 6" thick concte slab for $32,000 here in Idaho

/ Barn/Garage Building in Maine Shock
Morton buildings are not available our this way. I have received a quote on a steel building for $9500, 24'x32' however that obviously does not include foundation and excavation work. My estimate for that around here is approx. $6-7k based on the fact that extra fill needs to be brought in plus I would like to get this building done quickly rather than build it myself as that will take months. Right now I am in final negotiations with a local guy who'll do it for $28k without insulation or wiring.

/ Barn/Garage Building in Maine Shock #25  
A friend of mine built me a 24x24 detached garage this year. Block foundation, 22 tons of stone inside the foundation walls, concrete floor, rafters not trusses, Cedar Impressions siding, high-end fiberglass man door to match what's on the house nearby, asphalt roof, 9-foot walls, peak is 15' high, 5/12 pitch roof, some artificial stone on the front. The block foundation went to 9 courses on one side because of the sloping grade. The overhead door was separate and I took care of that myself (another $3,000 because it had to match the carriage house door on the house). The walls are unfinished and I'm wiring it, insulating it, and covering it with finished plywood myself over the winter. You can imagine how much that will cost by the time I'm done but the labor is my own so at least that's free. I helped him as much as I could because I wanted to and he needed the help at times but for the most part he built it himself and subbed out the masons. He charged me $25,000 because that was the figure he gave me up front. He said the cost really went over that (who knows) but he stuck with the figure he gave me because we're friends. I asked a few buddies of mine in the construction business and they said $35,000 would have been reasonable around here. $61,000 seems pretty high to me.

/ Barn/Garage Building in Maine Shock #26  
I needed a garage, but also limited budget. When I got quotes on 5-6K just for the slab of concrete. That was not going to work. Ended up going with a prefab by Woodtex

24x32 on a gravel base. The building was about 13k, I added the electric, heat and insulation