Basic QUestion (?) hydraulic fitting on Haybine to Tractor

/ Basic QUestion (?) hydraulic fitting on Haybine to Tractor #1  

Dave5264

Gold Member
Tractor
08 Montana C5264, 2011 McCormick CX100 XS
Hi Folks, just got my first attachment with hydraulic fittings, a Newholland haybine.

It arrived on the weekend, and the prior owner delivered it, it was towed over and, as it should, he had the Tow/Trailer latch engaged for saftey and so as not to Strain the Hydrauilics etc.

Before he left, he showed me how to disengage that latch, actually he did disengage it.

after he'd left , i backed up the tractor to hook up the hydraulics so i could lower the bine, and I couldnt get one of the male fittings in to the female on the tractor. I saw them connect just fine at the prior owners place when we operated the Haybine before the sale, so i was perplexed as to why the one would go in and the other wouldnt (Push as i might).

Im wondering if it has to do with the fact that now the saftey latch is released there is hydraulic pressure on the ball bearing in the male end of that fitting, not allowing it to compress enough to snap into the female end ?

I have a new 1/2" ball bearing male adapter, to put on if need be, but....am i onto something here, if so, how do i releive the pressure ?

totally new to this.

thanks in advance

/ Basic QUestion (?) hydraulic fitting on Haybine to Tractor #2  
Im wondering if it has to do with the fact that now the saftey latch is released there is hydraulic pressure on the ball bearing in the male end of that fitting, not allowing it to compress enough to snap into the female end ?

That is the problem, there is pressure in the line.

You need to jack up the haybine to take the weight off of the cylinder-then try to relieve the pressure in the line by either pressing the ball or lossening the fitting. BE SURE TO COVER WITH A RAG while you do this so the high pressure oil will not contact your skin.

If you try to relieve the pressure without jacking or blocking the machine it may go slamming down and the fluid will be under even more pressure from the weight of the haybine.

/ Basic QUestion (?) hydraulic fitting on Haybine to Tractor
Got it, Undersood, Ill Re-engage the safety Trailering latch as well.

Safety is paramount, Ive seen the after effects of high pressure hydraulic fluid contacting human skin. Not good

thanks.

/ Basic QUestion (?) hydraulic fitting on Haybine to Tractor #4  
one thing you could try would be to have your tractor shut off with the hydro remote locked in and try to push the hose in. this would give the oil some place to go. the mower will still lower to the ground but should not slam down.
Rob

/ Basic QUestion (?) hydraulic fitting on Haybine to Tractor
Thanks Rob, the big issue is the male coupler on the Bine Itself. If i could get the ball Valve to push in (while the weight of the Bine is supported some how)...i could relieve the pressure.

I wonder if i use the FEL & Chain to support the Bine weight, engage the Road/Trailering Safety Link, then tap the ball on the tongue of the Bine (wrapped in a Rag) to release the Pressure ?

Last edited:
   / Basic QUestion (?) hydraulic fitting on Haybine to Tractor #6  
Thanks Rob, the big issue is the male coupler on the Bine Itself. If i could get the ball Valve to push in (while the weight of the Bine is supported some how)...i could relieve the pressure.

I wonder if i use the FEL & Chain to support the Bine weight, engage the Road/Trailering Safety Link, then tap the ball on the tongue of the Bine (wrapped in a Rag) to release the Pressure ?

I would think that would work. You could also put blocks under the mower and then bang the fitting on the tounge you will have to bang it fairly hard. Once the ball opens up it is easy to hold it open and let the mower down onto blocks. but it will make a awful mess.
Rob

/ Basic QUestion (?) hydraulic fitting on Haybine to Tractor #7  
The old farmer way of handling this is to push/lightly hit the coupler ball on something hard to relieve the pressure. This is especially useful when the volume to be relieved is small - one example would be oil expansion due to a tempure increase (ie being left in the sun). Just be forewarned that some oil will go shooting out.

ISZ

/ Basic QUestion (?) hydraulic fitting on Haybine to Tractor #8  
Just put a floor jack under the ground foot at the wobble box and raise it until the cylinder load is relieved. Are you sure you are using the correct male connector? There are several out there (JD vs. ISO vs. ISO Compact tractor for example).