Batteries for '97 Powerstroke

/ Batteries for '97 Powerstroke #1  

JJZ 109

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380/LA344 loader/60" MMM, Bobcat S185 skid steer, JD X394 4 wheel steer mower
I've got a '97 F Super Duty with 7.3 PSD. I think the batteries might be on the way out. I've had the truck for 3 years or so and they were in it when I bought it. Currently it's got 2 Interstate 850 CCAs.
I looked for a couple replacements tonight when I was shopping for a spare tire & rim at the local Tractor Supply. All they carry are Exide, and of course the 750 CCA battery recommended in the Exide book there were out of stock.
What is it I should be looking for in batteries for this truck? CCA? Reserve power? Never battery shopped for a diesel before.

/ Batteries for '97 Powerstroke #2  
Get the batteries tested first? Midtronics battery tester. Or interstate MTP65 850 cca

/ Batteries for '97 Powerstroke #3  
Exide makes good batteries!
I have been replacing my bad batteries with Exides from TSC. I would check with them to see when the shipment comes in. After checking yours.
I think Exide are made in Bristle Tn.

/ Batteries for '97 Powerstroke #4  
Thank you for this posting. I am going to tag along. My truck is a 1996 F-350 4x4 diesel dually currently running on two mis matched batteries that made it thru winter. Have a TSC about 15 miles away in two directions.

/ Batteries for '97 Powerstroke #5  
If you like Exide you should be able to a 65x 750cca battery for about $93.00

/ Batteries for '97 Powerstroke
If you like Exide you should be able to a 65x 750cca battery for about $93.00

I believe that's what Exide's book showed, but they were out of stock at the local TSC. I have no preference in brand, I just happened to be at TSC for something else so I checked their selection.

Tested both batteries this morning. One was good - between 70-80%. The other was shot, less than 20%. Found Duracells at the local Sam's Club. 1035 CCAs at 32 degrees and 875 @ 0 degrees with 150 reserve. $98 each. 3 year warranty. Picked up this morning and will be installing later on.

Installed. Spins over faster than it has since I've owned it.

/ Batteries for '97 Powerstroke #9  
i have a 99 f450 and a 99 f350 i just batteried both. walmart had them. they carry a 89 and a 99$ one ( my area. might be a hair more north.. 99-110 etc. ).

spend the extra 10 and get the bigger cca..

I've got a '97 F Super Duty with 7.3 PSD. I think the batteries might be on the way out. I've had the truck for 3 years or so and they were in it when I bought it. Currently it's got 2 Interstate 850 CCAs.
I looked for a couple replacements tonight when I was shopping for a spare tire & rim at the local Tractor Supply. All they carry are Exide, and of course the 750 CCA battery recommended in the Exide book there were out of stock.
What is it I should be looking for in batteries for this truck? CCA? Reserve power? Never battery shopped for a diesel before.

i have a 99 f450 and a 99 f350 i just batteried both. walmart had them. they carry a 89 and a 99$ one ( my area. might be a hair more north.. 99-110 etc. ).

spend the extra 10 and get the bigger cca..

Almost went with a Walmart EverStart Maxx. But someone on a diesel forum pointed me toward the Sam's Club Duracell that I did buy. The Duracell had more CCAs and more reserve than the Walmart battery plus they were $12 per battery cheaper. Sam's came in at $98 and Walmart at $110.
I turned in the bad one of my previous pair at Sam's and kept the other in the garage on a maintainer in case I ever need a quick spare.

Last edited: