Batteries for my Dozer

/ Batteries for my Dozer #11  
I'd go with what Dave said, a couple of solar battery maintainers. Put a rubber mat down for the batteries to sit on, not for heat but for vibration which will kill batteries.
Not the same thing but I've had the same battery in my tractor for 5 or so years now, I don't use it much but I'm **** about keeping the maintainer on it when not in use, same with my lawn tractor and bike......Mike

/ Batteries for my Dozer #12  
I will say that to me batteries ain't what they used to be. In most of my cars and equipment if I get a battery to last longer than three I'm happy. Five, I'm estatic. About the only batteries that I've had any luck with are the OPTIMA batteries. I have them in my plane 7yrs, RV 7 yrs and my diesel truck. I just put a new set in this past September. The others were in for 8 years. The only bad things about them are they're about twice the price of a good battery and they don't have them for some applications.
But, as others have said, they will last longer if you put a battery maintainer on them.

James

/ Batteries for my Dozer #13  
A decent maintenance charger that can de-sulphate is always a battery's friend. An appropriately sized solar panel + regulator would help in a Back 40 spot.

Battery life in heat can be tough - checking and topping up cells with distilled or DI water is critical - meaning olde school flooded plate batteries.

Any decent AGM battery (like Optima) should perform well in your application. Tough design, and the self-discharge rate in storage is very low. Takes vibration well.

Rgds, D.

I run a pair of Optima batteries in mine for exactly that reason....vibration tough, and able to sit a long time without use.

/ Batteries for my Dozer #14  
You can buy some interstate batteries that are reconditioned. They are cheap and we have had great luck with them in our case dozers. 450, 3-550, 3-850, 1150.

Brett

/ Batteries for my Dozer #15  
Likely a PIA but 2 of the 12 volt 15 watt solar panels hooked to each battery (disconnect the cables from the batteries) would keep them charged. I had two of those and gave my B-I-L one to charge his gate opener battery. It works fine to keep it up even with daily gate openings. I used the other one to keep my 332 JD garden tractor battery charged until I sold the tractor. Now it is just setting idle. Time to relocate it to the back shed for use on my lawnmower.

/ Batteries for my Dozer #16  
Hi Eddie I don't know if your batteries are held secure or not but Ive been around track tractors all my life big and small. one thing my dad always said and I agree working a track machine will kill a battery. The vibration and movement if not tied down will break and crack the plates inside. I always make sure mine are secure and tight along with good clean connections and cable. all my tractors have a master switch also to help with the disconnect and connect. I would be sure they are secure I may be full of **** but it cant hurt . I also have mine belt and rubber under mine also . Hope this helps . Jd

/ Batteries for my Dozer #17  
Sustained freezing weather for more than 24 hours will greatly shorten battery life, if not kill them. Figure on bringing your batteries into the barn for the winter. Batteries can, and do, freeze and split open. Batteries sitting in a metal tray is okay but would prefer it to be lead, plastic, or rubber lined - to save the tray and whatever is beneath it. You're having a disconnect switch is a good idea to cut transient draws, but does not eliminate battery polarity equalization through the air in dusty and humid climates. Make sure all the terminals are covered, ideally with a dielectric grease, or use "battery cookies" or battery terminal spray coating.

/ Batteries for my Dozer #18  
Eddie...
Dad sold his D4D dozer and 941B last year...
He always used reconditioned batteries in those units to save money...
He never kept a charger on them and we always had to jump them off...
I guess it is nature of the beast...
Anything that doesn't' get used much needs trickle chargers hooked up at all times...
Pop never did...
I guess that is why I am so good at jumping stuff off...
Lots of training...LOL

/ Batteries for my Dozer #19  
I recommend AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries. Vibration resistant, no corrosion and never have to check or add water.

This old Dumper sets for months at a time and it fires right up. It has an Optima that is eight years old.
P3120004.JPG P3180024.JPG P3180026.JPG P3200013.JPG P6230012.JPG

/ Batteries for my Dozer #20  
Sustained freezing weather for more than 24 hours will greatly shorten battery life, if not kill them. Figure on bringing your batteries into the barn for the winter. Batteries can, and do, freeze and split open.

Sorry but that's just wrong.

Cold temperatures reduce the available power in a battery (significantly) but do not shorten the battery life as long as they are fully recharged. Bringing batteries into the barn will not help unless it's a heated barn. Fully charged batteries do not freeze and split just because it goes below 32 degrees...or even zero or 20 below. Their cranking ability will decrease and the vehicle will be harder to turn over (due to thickened oil) but the cold will not kill them.

A fully charged battery sitting in equipment at -20F will be perfectly fine. However, if it is heavily used for cranking a cold engine and not given a full recharge, then it is no longer a "fully charged battery" is could be susceptible to freeze damage.