Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#1,722  
Some of the EV look promising - rivian R1T, EV Hummer and a couple of the other pickup types. But the final price - out of my league. And then there is the infrastructure required to charge these vehicles.

I won't be buying one soon - I don't think I need a ludicrous luxury. Not at those projected prices ......
I think most of us are in the same boat. EV's are a niche market due to the lack of batteries for years to come. Plus the USA market place will require $20K-$30K EV's. The robo taxi concept at some point in time is going to greatly reduce car ownership. The sales of EV's has little to do with Tesla's stock evaluation even today.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,723  
I Googled "electric vehicles". Gosh - there are at least 10 - 12 different brands. I'm now glad that I'm not a "market forecaster" for one of these major brands. I fear some will fall flat on their faces.

I just don't see that many folks wanting or being able to afford an EV. Maybe if the price becomes reasonable. And the charging infrastructure is upgraded. And our nationwide electric production is increased. And battery technology continues to improve. And they are proven to be reliable. And the resale market will hold up. And some unique, new tax is applied to maintain the highway network.

Obviously, many are a shaky speculation. Taking deposits on future production. UH, HUA ........

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,724  
I think their goal is to get the price of fuel so high that gasoline and diesel fuel would be like gold and electric cars will be more attractive. Hopefully that won't happen as I can't afford to buy new tractors, trucks, car and a motorcycle.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,725  
Repeating that over and over again does not make it true. Farming does receive subsidized loans and guaranteed minimum commodity prices, but oil companies are not subsidized.

What happens in the oil industry is that many necessary investments require specific provision in tax law to allow as a deductible expense. This is no different for oil than for any other business. Current tax philosophy does not intend to tax expenditures which are necessary to produce taxable income. Oil haters have found they can utilize public ignorance to claim valid tax deductions are "subsidies".

Your tractor is such an expense, not a subsidy. You should not have to use taxed income to purchase a tractor to use to produce crop, the income from which is taxed.

Am shocked at the level of economic ignorance which abounds. Was talking with a recently retired government employee who had a high school diploma plus about a year of additional training. He was unhappy about news of a developer who purchased a property for $8M 10 years ago, recently sold for $1.5M, getting a "$6.5M tax break". He could not understand the government is not giving the developer $6.5M to cover his loss. Try as I might he could not understand the developer paid income taxes on the original $8M investment in order to have those resources to invest. Having used that in honest attempt to make more money (which would be taxed) the investor lost. Government is not repaying the lost $6.5M but allowing the investor to deduct the loss against future earnings. To not pay taxes on money earned until he catches back up to where he was before the loss.
The oil depletion allowance means that oil companies are allowed to deduct the loss in assets due to extraction of the oil. In effect, that means extracting the oil and selling it is tax free, so they never pay tax on the profits. If that's not a subsidy, I don't know what is.

Also, do not assume that an $8 million investment is paid for with after-tax money. It is very rare for finances that large to be subject to taxation. It may have been obtained through a 1031 exchange, or may have been financed by a loan, neither of which are taxable. If you are dealing with transactions that large, hire an accountant and a tax attorney to avoid paying taxes. It's not hard if you structure your business properly. We have a government of the rich people, by the rich people, for the rich people.

Thanks to the efforts of a legion of lobbyists, the US tax code is a sieve, and all the loopholes are written to benefit big money. The recent massive federal tax cuts would have been acceptable if they had been accompanied by a reform of the tax code. That didn't happen.

#1,726  
I think their goal is to get the price of fuel so high that gasoline and diesel fuel would be like gold and electric cars will be more attractive. Hopefully that won't happen as I can't afford to buy new tractors, trucks, car and a motorcycle.
I just paid $2.899 for the cheapest grade. Now that summer is here we have to double down getting the Leaf back on the road. I am not as big of a fan of OPEC as some. Federal tax payers are now going have to fund another Super Fund to cap and recap old oil wells left by the oil industry after milking their profits out of them. This could lead to a new Super Fund surcharge for those addicted to fossil fuel usage. Fossil fuel usage will be high at least until 2050.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,727  
There's plenty of electricity. Cars aren't going to strain the grid. They use about as much as a clothes dryer. Dry in the evening, charge at night. No problem.

Everytime a shopping mall closes that frees up about 1000 homes worth of electricity. This isn't an issue.

#1,728  
#1,729  

TX Gigi Factory 17 Mar 2021 drone video

It's amazing what some can envision and speak into existence.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,730  
The oil depletion allowance means that oil companies are allowed to deduct the loss in assets due to extraction of the oil. In effect, that means extracting the oil and selling it is tax free, so they never pay tax on the profits. If that's not a subsidy, I don't know what is.
As I understand it, they can each year deduct either a percentage of the initial cost to drill the well or a percentage of the annual revenue from pumping oil out of the well.
Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that given that a oil or gas well is an asset with a declining value (ie: it's only worth something if they can still pump oil or gas out of it) it makes sense that they can write off their investment into a well as it is "used up" no different than a company being able to write off the cost of a building with a projected lifespan of 40 years over the 40 years that they plan to use it.
It's worth noting that that section of the tax code also applies to mines and quarries which also have large initial investments to get the mine or quarry to where they can start making money out of it by selling product.
Also, I would really hope that they make a lot more out of a well than what they spent on drilling it. Makes no sense to spend $5 million drilling a well that you will not extract more than $5 million worth of oil or gas out of.

Also, do not assume that an $8 million investment is paid for with after-tax money. It is very rare for finances that large to be subject to taxation. It may have been obtained through a 1031 exchange, or may have been financed by a loan, neither of which are taxable. If you are dealing with transactions that large, hire an accountant and a tax attorney to avoid paying taxes. It's not hard if you structure your business properly. We have a government of the rich people, by the rich people, for the rich people.

Thanks to the efforts of a legion of lobbyists, the US tax code is a sieve, and all the loopholes are written to benefit big money. The recent massive federal tax cuts would have been acceptable if they had been accompanied by a reform of the tax code. That didn't happen.

As the saying goes, he who has the gold makes the rules. Has been that way since the beginning of times and I doubt it will change in your lifetime or mine.

Aaron Z

Status
Not open for further replies.