Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,581  
I thought you still owned some ICE vehicles. No?

And your point? I bought F250 back in 2018 and my Mazda 3 in 2019. I bought my GM Bolt EV in 2022 and my Tesla Y in 2023.
The buying experience with Tesla, including getting a loan at rate equivalent to my credit union, was non stressful and took less than 30 minutes.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,582  
And your point? I bought F250 back in 2018 and my Mazda 3 in 2019. I bought my GM Bolt EV in 2022 and my Tesla Y in 2023.
The buying experience with Tesla, including getting a loan at rate equivalent to my credit union, was non stressful and took less than 30 minutes.
My point is, you are staying with antiquated technology too. Shouldn't you rid yourself of said scourge before denigrating the rest of us poor souls? ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,583  

Senate Democrats urge crackdown on autonomous vehicles and driver assist​

The federal government isn’t taking seriously the dangers posed by fully autonomous vehicles, as well as driver-assist features like Tesla Autopilot, the senators argue.

Two prominent Senate Democrats are calling for increased scrutiny of autonomous vehicles and advanced driver-assist systems (ADAS) like Tesla’s Autopilot, arguing that the unimpeded flow of highly automated vehicles on public roads in recent years risks exacerbating the traffic safety crisis in the US.
Automakers and tech companies say the technology can lead to safer streets. But there have been a number of high-profile incidents in recent years involving fully autonomous vehicles, as well as hundreds of crashes and dozens of fatalities in vehicles equipped with advanced driver-assist systems. The two senators, Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) and Ed Markey (D-MA), argue that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s regulatory authority is at risk of being outpaced by the technology.
“We cannot allow partially automated driving systems and ADS to accelerate the road safety crisis,” they write. “NHTSA must take firm control of the wheel and steer manufacturers towards prioritizing safety.”

They urge NHTSA to use its recall authority to prohibit some driver-assist features from being used on certain roads. The senators say that NHTSA missed an opportunity to put limits on Tesla’s Autopilot earlier this when it recalled the feature over concerns about drivers using it on roads where it wasn’t intended to operate.

“We remain concerned that Autopilot, and features like it in other vehicles, could lead drivers to become overconfident and distracted, putting them and other road users at risk,” Blumenthal and Markey write in a letter to NHTSA Acting Administrator Sophie Shulman.

continues...

Ya think?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,584  
My point is, you are staying with antiquated technology too. Shouldn't you rid yourself of said scourge before denigrating the rest of us poor souls? ;)

It's a process. My diesel truck is a necessary evil but hey, I'm carbon neutral! ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,585  
Tesla just Increased Model Y prices
no more rebates or price drops for a few days

RWD $3600
Long Range $5000
Performance $ 5300

Still a couple grand less than what they were a year ago.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,586  
I’ve never seen so many weekly price changes with another durable good. It appears CarMax is now limiting their exposure to Teslas due to the wild value changes.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,587  
Tesla is down to $148
Fisker is up 7% to 5.2 cents/share
2024_04_18_21.33.00.jpg
2024_04_18_21.30.36.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,588  
I mean, Id presume as battery tech advances, maybe quickly, that older models with inferior tech will depreciate. Though, Musk is on record saying current battery tech is sufficient.
This expectation of “battery tech” is right up there with The Gas Station Fallacy. And how about battery swap for quick fueling?

”Everybody knew” a 265 mile production EV was impossible until the 2012 Tesla Model S 85 appeared. “Everybody knew” nobody needed or wanted DC charging or more than an 80 mile range. Now “everybody knows” “We need infrastructure! There is no place to charge!”

And, “no point buying today just because it gets the job done, something better will appear tomorrow.”

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,590  
Maybe save your heart and not go to McDonalds ;) ......but lets look at the bigger picture, your EV world seems to always forget, that your electricity source plants needs mostly needs fossil fuels .
My planned 14kW PV solar system with 20 kWh battery is $33k and should supply house and most or all of my car.

If not I’m leaving space for 20kW of panels and a 2nd 15kW inverter each of which can manage at least 2 batteries.

Total cost less than one car or truck. How many people have more vehicles than they “need”?