Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,801  
I think most of TBN people drive their vehicle till the wheels fall off. I was just reminded of that when my BIL and nephew stopped by to visit and he was on his 3rd vehicle (all used) since i last saw him a few years ago. He was kind of blown away that we had the same vehicles since "forever" I told him my pickup is still running great and it's 22 year old.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,802  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,803  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,804  
Getting the obsolete (2009 and older) diesel fleets off CA and CO roads.

Good luck with the private haulers. I had a private hauler deliver a landall trailer to the shop. He rolled in with a 1982 cab over with over a million miles on it. It was the only truck the guy ever purchased.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,805  
Getting the obsolete (2009 and older) diesel fleets off CA and CO roads.

Good friend of mine owns 12 OTR trucks. He says thank you Jesus I don't have to send my trucks into California anymore!!! 😁

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,806  
The majority of people probably financially be better off if they keep driving what they're driving now to the wheels fall off.
Probably. I've only ever bought one new vehicle in my life, and that was in 1970. Drove it right into the ground. You mentioned elsewhere in this thread that you tend to buy 7-10 y.o. vehicles with ~100k on them (I think it was you). I do the same, and have had no major issues. Long gone are the days when buying used is "buying somebody else's problem". Obviously, you need to check it out thoroughly before you buy.

I think most of TBN people drive their vehicle till the wheels fall off. I was just reminded of that when my BIL and nephew stopped by to visit and he was on his 3rd vehicle (all used) since i last saw him a few years ago. He was kind of blown away that we had the same vehicles since "forever" I told him my pickup is still running great and it's 22 year old.
I dunno, I see a lot of posts here by those who wouldn't even consider buying used, and seem to trade every 3-5 years.
I'm afraid the band on China EVs will keep prices high until Tesla's $26K EV hits the market.
I presume you meant to say "ban", but do we really want to be even more dependent on China than we already are? I just don't see ultra-compact bare bones cars like what's popular in Asia catching on here.
Tesla seems to have put this "$26k" EV on indefinite hold.
I don't understand the 49.9 mpg charm since we've had that ability for many years. I have 65 y.o. car now that gets that. I'm just not getting the point. I had an '83 VW Rabbit diesel pickup that got in the 50's mpg.

Those old diesel Rabbits might have gotten good mpg, but they didn't have much else going for them. I knew a couple people who had one back in the 80s, and they were pretty awful cars, though the gas models were OK.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,807  
I sold my Rabbit diesel at 50k miles. Guy who bought it had over 200k on it, still going fine. It was really low on hp, but was a great little truck.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,808  
I know this has been stated before, but I cannot overlook how vulnerable this country would be if all vehicles, industry, businesses and homes were 100% Electric. The electrical grid and power plants are super exposed to an attack. I am not against EVs, I think they have a valuable place. Diverse energy sources given certain criteria are the key to me.
Im a little confused..... so a total attack on all our refineries arnt
how many now are making their electric power at home. Can you make gasoline at your home?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,809  
He said DIVERSE energy - more than one type. I would not have only one source of heat for my home. In fact I look ways to deal with lack of electric, gasoline, diesel and propane in most cases. Can't say I have it all figured out but could cope with most things if I lost one source, losing all forms would still be a challenge.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,810  
I don't understand the 49.9 mpg charm since we've had that ability for many years. I have 65 y.o. car now that gets that. I'm just not getting the point. I had an '83 VW Rabbit diesel pickup that got in the 50's mpg.
The powers that be have added so many safety features and emission restrictions to vehicles that it's hard to get 50+ mpg with any new ice vehicle now. Diesel doesn't make sense because of clean diesel restrictions raising refining costs.