Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,801  
Wind direction makes a big difference on the mileage I get on my work commute. Tuesday I managed 50.5 mpg, Wednesday I only got 43 mpg. Tailwind vs headwind and full tank compared to almost empty tank were the variables.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,802  
Wind direction makes a big difference on the mileage I get on my work commute. Tuesday I managed 50.5 mpg, Wednesday I only got 43 mpg. Tailwind vs headwind and full tank compared to almost empty tank were the variables.
Another good example of why speed influences mileage. Every sailor on this forum is thinking "apparent wind", right about now.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,803  
To throw a little more technical knowledge into the discussion,

Power = (Force)(Velocity)

Drag Force due to air resistance is
F_D = 1/2(rho)(V^2)(C_D)(A)

where
rho is the fluid density,
V is the velocity,
C_D is the drag coefficient,
A is the projected frontal area

So, Power = 1/2(rho)(V^3)(C_D)(A)

Or, the power needed to overcome wind resistance is proportional to the velocity cubed.

If you double your speed, the power needed to overcome wind resistance will increase 2^3 = 8 times.

To triple your velocity, you need 8 times the power.

Note, this assumes C_D is constant with velocity, which is not a horrible assumption at normal road speeds, but it's not exactly true.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,804  
To throw a little more technical knowledge into the discussion,

Power = (Force)(Velocity)

Drag Force due to air resistance is
F_D = 1/2(rho)(V^2)(C_D)(A)

where
rho is the fluid density,
V is the velocity,
C_D is the drag coefficient,
A is the projected frontal area

So, Power = 1/2(rho)(V^3)(C_D)(A)

Or, the power needed to overcome wind resistance is proportional to the velocity cubed.

If you double your speed, the power needed to overcome wind resistance will increase 2^3 = 8 times.

To triple your velocity, you need 8 times the power.

Note, this assumes C_D is constant with velocity, which is not a horrible assumption at normal road speeds, but it's not exactly true.
Does rain increase the drag?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,805  
Does rain increase the drag?
Yes, rain will increase wind resistance. Will it increase it appreciably to where you would notice? No.

However, it can increase rolling resistance as well, but that's a different topic.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,807  
Yes, rain will increase wind resistance. Will it increase it appreciably to where you would notice? No.

However, it can increase rolling resistance as well, but that's a different topic.
How are you determining and applying the coefficient of friction ??

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,808  
Elon Musk hoping for a couple more OJ juries in the upcoming liability trials....!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,809  
How are you determining and applying the coefficient of friction ??
Are you referring to the coefficient of friction of the raindrops, or the rolling wheel?

If you are referring to the raindrops, the answer is, I'm not.

Aerodynamic drag is comprised of two components. Pressure drag (see previous equation) and skin friction drag (due to shear forces on the surface of a body). At relatively high velocities and for large bodies (e.g., cars) drag due to friction is negligible. Pressure drag dominates.

Skin friction drag arises due to the velocity profile near the surface (the velocity gradient to be precise). This force acts near the surface of the car.

Rain drops will have two effects. (1) They will disrupt the flow over the car, much like dimples on a golf ball. This can actually reduce drag (more space would be needed to explain why), but at highway speeds isn't going to make much difference. (2) The airflow will push the raindrops, causing them to move, thereby increasing drag.

The physics that will cause the raindrops to move is very similar to the same physics that produces skin friction on the car. It is a result of the tangential shear force, either acting on the solid surface or on the protruding droplet, right next to the surface. So, just as skin friction (i.e., the shear force) is negligible, the increase in drag due to a protruding and moving raindrop is going to be very small as well. It will have an influence, but enough that you will notice a change in gas mileage? Not likely.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,810  
Park and do not drive recalls do not work for the one car family working to make payments on the recalled vehicle. One would think after 120 years Ford would know how to make vehicles. This is both an ICE and EV concern.