Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,971  
Despite seeing everything all the time, I don't have confidence in the system to recognize a potential threat or issue. How will it react if it's struck by a bullet? Will it keep driving towards a hail of gunfire?
If I lived in your community I think I'd just go with a cyber truck 🙂

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,972  
I have no fear of the unknown. As an electronic technician 43 years I'd rather put my faith in a good experienced driver than an
autonomous vehicle putting faith in sensors, design and software engineering.
In your example of a kid running out with FSD brakes are applied. An experienced driver may choose other options.

Well I take Issue right there...

I refuse to believe Fuddy is an electronic tech.

I am willing to believe, like me he is an electronicS technician. :)

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,973  
Honestly the range doesn't really bother me, I plan to have it on the charger when not in use, I work from home and sleep at home and rarely travel further than a hundred miles in a single day.

However, that 113wh battery is very appealing considering it can reverse charge, and supply the house in a power outage. That's 3 days of power there.

That is great, I think that the price is a really Good deal and I also prefer the exterior and probably interior of the Fisker to my Y. I almost ordered the Volvo XC 40 because of wanting a more standard looking vehicle, but the Tesla has its advantages as well.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,974  
That is great, I think that the price is a really Good deal and I also prefer the exterior and probably interior of the Fisker to my Y. I almost ordered the Volvo XC 40 because of wanting a more standard looking vehicle, but the Tesla has its advantages as well.
Tesla is a tech company. Which means it's probably got better software. But Personally, i think they're ugly.

Got shipping confirmation a few minutes ago, delivery next friday. Fingers crossed.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,975  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,976  

We might or may not learn more pertinent facts come 8/8/2024 but personally I would add 12 months to that date for final release details. Maybe we'll get surprised in a positive way.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,977  
Hertz announced it will sell more EVs than previously reported.

In Jan. they said they would sell 20,000 vehicles, and now 10,000 more will be sold.

Hertz has lost $400 million on it's EV gambit.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/h...orts-a-much-wider-than-expected-loss-a51be7c0

If they ever buy more Teslas I bet they drive a hard bargain if and when.

That had to "Hertz" a lot, when Tesla cut the prices so drastically and Hertz IIANM paid full or near full prices.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,978  
New Study by Consumer Reports:

Tesla has the lowest cost of ownership over a 5 year period

"When comparing cumulative costs by brand for years one through five and six through 10, we found that Tesla had the lowest maintenance costs. At the opposite end of the rankings, several German automakers are clustered as the most expensive brands, namely Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Porsche."

Tesla also led with lowest cost in years six through ten.

Overall average 10 year cost:

Tesla $4035
KIA $5850
Subaru $7000+

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,979  

"When comparing cumulative costs by brand for years one through five and six through 10, we found that Tesla had the lowest maintenance costs. At the opposite end of the rankings, several German automakers are clustered as the most expensive brands, namely Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Porsche."

Tesla $4035
KIA $5850
Subaru $7000+

I must be blessed. I have not kept detailed records on my 2015 F150, but have spent less than $4000 on brakes, tires, oil changes and a couple of minor repairs. 115k miles.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,980  

Tesla $4035
KIA $5850
Subaru $7000+

No offense but statistics like that mean nothing.
Compare 2 cars A&B. A cost $40K new. B cost $20K new. Even if after 10 years B has $15K in maintenance cost and A is zero...which was the best buy?
Grade school mathematics.