Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,312  
That dark view may turn out to be true but if they are truly built with off the shelf parts per the article I could see that being a positive thing.

For those who do not have the ability to see the ICE death spiral is already underway may have a short-term period of gloating perhaps.

As has been the case for a number of years the safest bet for the working Man is buying a Tesla. They're positive views out of China. Last week is amazing and if they get the self-driving share of the China market, they're sitting on gold I expect .

If this early stage depression lasts 3 to 5 years Tesla will not be the last company to lay off 14,000 employees. We Baby Boomers could see greatly reduced retirement funds that are still in the stock market.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,313  
If fuel is available I could fall back on my Model T and A Ford's.

That said I'm not at all opposed to having an electric I can charge from my PV array...

I'm not a new car buyer and I nothing I drive is newer than 12 years old and and most 20+ old so not sure getting a 12+ year old electric would be smart in my situation...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,314  
That dark view may turn out to be true but if they are truly built with off the shelf parts per the article I could see that being a positive thing.

For those who do not have the ability to see the ICE death spiral is already underway may have a short-term period of gloating perhaps.

As has been the case for a number of years the safest bet for the working Man is buying a Tesla. They're positive views out of China. Last week is amazing and if they get the self-driving share of the China market, they're sitting on gold I expect .

If this early stage depression lasts 3 to 5 years Tesla will not be the last company to lay off 14,000 employees. We Baby Boomers could see greatly reduced retirement funds that are still in the stock market.

Rich rebuilds wants to buy an Ocean or maybe 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,315  
Rich rebuilds wants to buy an Ocean or maybe 2

I don't know who he is but he's a bit of an idiot. "I'm all in for $20k". Yeah, there's not a whole lot of cars that wouldn't be an amazing value brand new for $20k. He's a cheap pos. Every car manufacturer would go out of business following his business model.

Mean while I spent the afternoon in the shop working on the mini.

M1SFfVe.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,317  
I don't get the range obsession. My 2004 diesel excursion gets 880 miles to a tank. It just has a massive tank. EV's are the only thing i care about at range, because at the bottom of the tank, there's a several hour recharge. But gas, i can fill up in under 90 seconds. I've timed it.
That's quite a feat. Filling a 45-50 gallon diesel tank in under 90 seconds. Especially if you counting the time once you get of your truck.

I only have a 30 gallon diesel tank and by the time I get out my truck to the time I get back into my truck after filling tank (normally from 1/2 full) its at least 5 minutes.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,318  
That's good news and one reason I'm so glad you got the Ocean. It helps others to see there are more and more EV options showing up. I expect in 20 years 80% of all cars will be sold online like Tesla has been doing for the past 10 years.

It was 2019 when I saw my first EV in town. It was a white Nissan Leaf so I went looking only to learn no Nissan dealership in this part of KY or TN sold the Leaf. I found our 2016 Leaf SL online at a dealership 200 miles away in St. Louis, MO. It had every option available and was the new Nissan dark blue with 22K miles in mint condition except for the about to fail battery. I drove over to look at it in our F-150 pickup and made a deal for $13,500 and pulled it back to Kentucky and started this thread so Lithium Ion power tool thread didn't get junked up with EV post. Nissan lost their first mover advantage but wound up selling a lot of Teslas by default.

I have not seen it yet but apparently we have a Cybertruck owner in town now. According to Facebook it must be popular with the females the age of 25 to 45 because they are posting when they see it and where they saw it.

I expect the Cyber truck is going to help the sales of all brands of EVS because they're bringing EV awareness with something that you cannot miss. 🙂

that's going to be an uphill battle since the dealership mafia model is protected by most state laws.

These bans on direct manufacturer sales are part of a broad array of state laws that bar manufacturer ownership of dealers and regulate entry and exit of dealers through territorial restrictions and provisions on dealer termination

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,319  
So i went to harbor freight today to get a nylon pry bar to take the front panel off the ocean so I could open the hood. Since the hood doesn't open easily. When I came out, I saw a mother and daughter, 40's and mid teen's, circling the car. I parked far away, so I had a bit of a walk to observe what they were doing.

I got about 60' away and they had finished their look and started walking towards me, or more accurately, the store, since there was a tj maxx next to the HF. As we approached, i asked if they liked it. The mother asked if it was mine, and I said yup. She said she noticed the huge wheels, and she asked what it was. I explained it was a fisker ocean, all electric. She said she's never heard of that before. She said she really liked the color, and the daughter chimed in that she loved the interior.

They asked a couple more questions, and then they were on their way. What really struck me as odd about the situation is they are the last people I would expect to stop to look at a car. I could guarantee that there could have been a c8 corvette or lotus elise parked there, and they wouldn't have gone out of their way to walk up to it and look at it.

Also, coming back, there was a guy hanging out of a passenger window taking pictures or video. I switched to hyper mode and floored it and left them in the dust. It would be cool if a video of that turned up somewhere.
Welcome to the EV world.

One thing I noticed at the superchargers when traveling is the diverse demographics of Tesla owners.

Why doesn't your hood open easily?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,320  
That's quite a feat. Filling a 45-50 gallon diesel tank in under 90 seconds. Especially if you counting the time once you get of your truck.

I only have a 30 gallon diesel tank and by the time I get out my truck to the time I get back into my truck after filling tank (normally from 1/2 full) its at least 5 minutes.
Depends on which pumps you use. Big truck station pumps a lot faster, bigger nozzles, hoses and pumps.

Edit:

Less than 10 gallons per minute for cars. There’s a regulation on that.
Its less than 40 gallons per minute for diesel pumps into big trucks.

Local station has one each on the diesel pumps. Fast one for truck slow one for cans...