battery charger?

/ battery charger? #11  
Neal - you reminded me of the charger brand we use. Most of my family have had good service from the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.batterychargers.com/top.htm>Schumacher</A> products. Oddly enough, we always find them at places like K Mart. They are quite weighty, which we always assumed meant more copper in the transformers.

We've only use the trickle chargers so far; this has been good info for me regarding the starting functions.

/ battery charger? #12  
I use a portable trickle charger that I bought as Sears. I can be used on cars/trucks/lawn equipment etc. It mounts next to the battery and connects to the + and - terminals. The other end has a 3 prong 110 plug that I plug into and outlet in the garage. I only use this in the winter to keep the battery up to snuff. Works great and it only cost $20.00. I have one from my lawn tractor and for my 4110.

Mark

/ battery charger? #13  
I stay away from the Wal-Mart chargers. I bought two for charging trolling motors (about $25 each, IIRC). Both of them first had problems with the contact in the positive cable (melted the plastic--could have caused a fire), then after some period of time the automatic charging function fails to work (it never fully charges the battery--put it on my big Sears charger, they charge right up, so it wasn't the battery).

I buy other stuff at Wal-Mart, but won't buy a charger there again. Just my experience.

-Chris

/ battery charger? #14  
When i mentioned safety, I was actually thinking along the lines of start / boost in emergency situations, but since you mention it, you might want to make sure that the charger you choose has some sort of built in circuit breaker or fuse. ( most I have seen have an internal breaker, or thermal breaker. )

Soundguy

/ battery charger?
Neal and Mark,

Thanks for the lead on Schumacher products. I have found a Schumacher 125/15/2 automatic charger at a local "discount" farm supply/hardware store. The charger will suit my needs and, at $70, is $10 off the price listed at the Schumacher Web site.