Battery Explosion! What Happened?

/ Battery Explosion! What Happened?
We are (finally) loosing SEARS altogether. Times change! I am almost at the point of wanting to use profanity when a retailer mentions their on-line offerings. How about some friggin service? Like I have all day to figure out yet another web site, and then the item I want will inevitably not be available anyway!

/ Battery Explosion! What Happened? #33  
The battery in the photo looks like a sealed type.

VRLA have pressure chambers and better maintenance free have similar design.

Gas is produced when charging and high rate creates more gas.

Internal structures that may come loose between cells can cause an intermittent connection that usually allows low current load from controls to work but high current loads like pump or starter motors can cause the connection to spark resulting in boom

/ Battery Explosion! What Happened? #34  
Had a battery explode on me in a K5 Blazer years ago--Shook the whole truck. Put a new one in and all was good (after cleaning up the mess)..Battery issue only I assume. No warning, just hit the key in front of the bank..Thankfully the hood was down.

/ Battery Explosion! What Happened? #36  
A guy in our area had a battery blow up and lived to tell about it but with burns to his face and neck. He was adding distilled water to a bank of batteries in his off-grid home while -- get this -- smoking a cigarette.

/ Battery Explosion! What Happened? #37  
2 stories. I was in the motor pool as a young private in the Army. The batteries (4 12 volts) were located under the passenger seat.
Truck wouldn't start. As I leaned over the batteries standing on the running board, the driver hit the starter button while I was wiggling the cable terminals. The resulting explosion blew me off the running board and against an APC parked next to it knocking me out.
The people around has enough presence of mind to throw water over my face.
I spent six weeks in an army hospital with my eyes bandaged and face burned.
It wasn't fun where somebody fed you either. I got the " your meat is at three o'clock on the plate and mashed potatoes at six o'clock." **** near killed myself with that spoon!
2. In Germany, me and two "Big" buddies went backroading through the German forests. Beer was involved. A lot of it I must confess. In a 1965 Volkswagen bug. In which said vehicle, the battery is located under the rear seat upon which the two Big friends are riding. However, when Ferninand Porsche invented the bug, He used metal springs as cushion in the seat with a somewhat flammable stuffing for padding. With the bouncing and big butts on said seat going through the countryside at a late hour somewhat intoxicated a smell of smoke came from the back seat area.
Then "abandon Ship" was announced as fire licked through the seat bottom.
Have you ever seen two drunk big ol boys trying to evacuate a Volkswagen bug from the rear seat at a high rate of speed?
It is a sight to behold I must say.
All was well. Burnt seat bottom, spilt beer and both wanted to ride in front after that on the way home.

/ Battery Explosion! What Happened? #38  
These stories make me realize how lucky I was to only have lost my clothes... I was also deaf for awhile.

I was hooking up a battery charger and stumbled to the garden hose and hosed myself down... I did not get any in my eyes.

The VW story actually happened a lot... my bet is the battery was not OEM... the original Bug batteries came with a plastic shield covering the positive terminal... many times with old bugs you will see "Welded" seat springs from positive battery post.

/ Battery Explosion! What Happened?
My Dad often took the passenger seat out of our bug. I hated driving in that thing and as a teenager hated it even more with the seat out.

I spoke with my mechanic just this week about the battery explosion. He has had only a couple, which I find amazing. He says a battery has to be pretty compromised to explode.

In a vehicle that is used often, for the number of starts a battery provides, there is no point messing around with questionable batteries. Lesser used stuff is another story.

/ Battery Explosion! What Happened? #40  
I like quality batteries and tires... especially for those I care about...