battery for 2520

/ battery for 2520 #1  

pkav32

Bronze Member
Tractor
john deere 2520
I need a new battery for my jd 2520. Does anyone hvae a recommendation? I was thinking of just using jd battery, but thought I would ask first.

/ battery for 2520 #2  
From everything I've read here, JD batteries are crap (and more expensive). I recently put a new Exide in my 2305. Check the battery (or manual) to see what size you need (probably ~650 CCAs) and find a replacement at your local tractor type store (mine was at TSC). So long as it has enough cranking amps and will physically fit into the battery well on the machine, it'll be fine.

/ battery for 2520 #3  
After my 2520 JD battery gave up the goat (early, in my opinion, at 2 years old), I replaced it with an Exide from TSC. So far, it's working fine.

I checked WalMart first, but couldn't find one that had the correct mounting tabs upon which to attach the hold-down clamp. The Exide does have the proper tabs. Price was comparable with JD, about $90.

/ battery for 2520 #4  
The battery on my 2320 leaked acid. The 2720 several years later had a tube venting battery overflow out the bottom of the tractor. On my 3320, that I just got, the battery seems to be completely sealed. The thing is that we really don't know if the new batteries are better than the old ones but knowing Deere and their constant parts updates I think I would personally go with their battery.

You might ask you dealer for the latest battery because they often have old stock and you could get stuck with a battery that has been optioned out.

Rob

/ battery for 2520
Thanks guys for your help. Runner I was going to get an Exide as you suggested. It was just easier to go to the JD dealer because I needed other parts. I bought one for $108.00. I might be kicking myself down the road. Thanks again

/ battery for 2520 #6  
Top of the list for me in a battery is that it wont leak acid and corrode the tractor. There also seems to be more brands available now. I put Optimas in my car and tractor last year and so far no problem.

/ battery for 2520 #7  
Top of the list for me in a battery is that it wont leak acid and corrode the tractor. There also seems to be more brands available now. I put Optimas in my car and tractor last year and so far no problem.

I'd say that's my primary concern also. The new Deere batteries don't leak as far as I can tell but this is a new tractor. I do know that the 2720 I owned had and overflow tube. I don't think Deere batteries have had leakage problems for a few years now.

Rob

/ battery for 2520 #8  
Ditto on the JD battery problems.... I have a JD 3320, my battery expired last month, 2 years and a few days (literally) after I purchased it, perfect timing for them to be just out of warranty. I asked my dealer who has always treated me very fair if they could take care of it given how close it was and they said they couldn't, fair enough I guess. I realize they didn't have it planned that way but it is amazing how many people seem to have the same problem right around the two year mark. It's crazy they couldn't make a battery last more than two years and of course they see to make quite the mess as they leaked terribly.

It's pretty obvious they had a serious flaw with these batteries and as was mentioned already, they are not cheap from JD. I also ended up forking the $100+ for a new battery from JD mostly because I was in a hurry to get it working and wasn't energetic enough to go researching and shopping for batteries although in hindsight I wish I would have put a little more effort int it.

/ battery for 2520 #9  
Ditto on the JD battery problems.... I have a JD 3320, my battery expired last month, 2 years and a few days (literally) after I purchased it, perfect timing for them to be just out of warranty. I asked my dealer who has always treated me very fair if they could take care of it given how close it was and they said they couldn't, fair enough I guess. I realize they didn't have it planned that way but it is amazing how many people seem to have the same problem right around the two year mark. It's crazy they couldn't make a battery last more than two years and of course they see to make quite the mess as they leaked terribly.

It's pretty obvious they had a serious flaw with these batteries and as was mentioned already, they are not cheap from JD. I also ended up forking the $100+ for a new battery from JD mostly because I was in a hurry to get it working and wasn't energetic enough to go researching and shopping for batteries although in hindsight I wish I would have put a little more effort int it.

Was the new battery the same configuration as the old one? I just got my 3320 and the battery is sealed.

Rob

/ battery for 2520 #10  
Rob-D, my new battery is in fact sealed or at least it appears to be. Thankfully it's not the same design as the original version. I had to wait about 30 minutes or so at the dealer as they did not have any prepared. I think they ship them dry and then the dealers have to prepare them so at least I got a fresh one.

I'm glad to hear your machine came with the new design. I'm sure Deere has recognized the issue and since corrected it which is nice to see.

BTW - Congratulations on your new machine. I seen your previous post and of course the pictures and it looks great. I really like the hoe and the thumb. Sometimes I regret not getting the hoe with mine. I was pretty much over that until I seen yours with the hoe on it. Have fun with the new machine.