Battery for CK35 HST

/ Battery for CK35 HST #11  
In my 2004 CK30hst, I use a group 24 battery. Fills the tray and about no more than an inch from the air filter housing.

/ Battery for CK35 HST #12  
I went with an optima red top, Amazon.com: Optima Batteries 8002-002 34 RedTop Starting Battery: Automotive
800 cold cranking amps much more than my original and also no worries of dumping acid all over the place like my old one did. Only have about 170 hrs and already the battery area is starting to rust from the acid dripping out of the battery. Only usually happens on warm days bush hogging my rough field.

In 2006 I gave my near new tractor battery to my Stepson for his V8 Ute and bought an Optima. It is still going albeit starting to weaken now. Not a bad run so I will buy another when the time comes.

/ Battery for CK35 HST #13  
Within a group size, CCA can vary; you get more CCA by using more, thinner electrodes and thinner separators between the "plates" (electrodes). This increases the active surface area which will deliver more amps but it also makes the battery more "fragile."

Thank you for making this important point. Bigger (CCA in this case) is not always better! There are trade-offs, and the trade off here is that if you go mega-big on the CCA, you are more likely to have a battery fail due to vibration or shock.

Not that vibration or shock is ever an issue with tractors, but....

Big enough is good enough, and doesn't expose you to premature failure.

BTW, I have also heard the same on Optimas. They got bought out about 5 years ago, and are not the battery they used to be. Very hit or miss on quality control. I'm on several other vehicle-specific boards, and I see the same complaints all over them. People who bought before the buy-out swear by them. People who bought after, swear AT them.